A thread of our own- misogyny

11 Likes

Well gosh, if Pro-Life™ folks are in fact pro-life, then any death threats surely are coming from… y’know… those other people who are clearly not pro-life: i.e. those bad bad libbruls.

Because Pro-Lifers™ would never–

–ever–

–for any reason–

–turn to violence–

–or death threats.

Oh.

Uh.

When would death threats be necessary, you ask?
I guess that’s a real question, right?

18 Likes

If she said ‘yes’ at any moment of the encounter, that counts for the entire time, whatever changes occured with or without permission, no take-backs!

8 Likes

A probe by New York Attorney General Letitia James turned up evidence that David had solicited signatures for a letter that sought to undermine the credibility of a woman who accused Andrew Cuomo of sexual harassment.

7 Likes

It’s a case that has no chance of succeeding, yet the harassment and cruelty are the point.

A pregnant person who self-administers abortion pills cannot be prosecuted under Texas law, even when she was the one to procure the medication, ingest it, and allegedly terminate the pregnancy. And he can’t use S.B. 8, the Texas vigilante abortion ban enacted in 2021, because it targets only those who aid or abet a physician licensed in Texas.

Texas law expressly states that an individual does not commit a criminal act when she terminates her own pregnancy. The state’s abortion bans, homicide statute, and assault statute all declare that self-managed abortion is not a criminal act and cannot be punished as one. So even if Doe’s fetus “died,” for purposes of Texas law, its death was not “wrongful,” so no one can be held liable for abetting it. As Joanna Grossman, a visiting professor at Stanford Law School, told Slate: “If there’s no wrongful death, then there’s no wrongful death liability.”

What, then, is the purpose of this lawsuit? It seems the suit has several extralegal goals, all of which are rooted in a brazenly misogynistic desire to let men manipulate the legal system to control women’s bodies and keep them trapped in dangerous relationships.

12 Likes

Cross-posting about an event in Women’s History:

12 Likes
8 Likes
13 Likes
8 Likes
11 Likes

I’m gonna guess it’s deeply entrenched misogyny…

But I want to go to the part of the multiverse where Shirley Chisholm was our first woman president, and Bella Abzug was her Veep! :heart_eyes:

13 Likes

After watching a story about a revival of Sweeney Todd on Broadway, it occurred to me that it’s a problem in plays, too. The reviews always focus on Todd and Mrs. Lovett, and they were the focus of the original story. However, it’s noted in the musical’s description of the stage productions that it was a play from 1973 which introduced the backstory of Todd’s family - as well as themes of sexual predators, assault, and victimization of women. :weary:

10 Likes

That is an interesting addition to the back story, but it sounds like there was nothing to explain his motives in the original writing, correct?

Not-humble brag: I saw Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett on Broadway in either 1980 or 1981!

10 Likes

It seems that way. I can’t help comparing it with The Count of Monte Cristo, which involves revenge but with very different outcomes for the family of the wronged party.

Here I Am Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

Ok, she was probably much less glammed up when you saw her, but I’ll bet she was still amazing!

8 Likes
10 Likes
12 Likes

How Nancy Hopkins and her tape measure revealed the extent of sexism in science

When the MIT molecular biologist quantified how much more lab space men were given, she unleashed a US-wide reckoning about how women are held back in academia.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-00887-4

13 Likes
14 Likes

I relate to this. I developed breasts early too. When I was twelve, I went into a fast food place holding my father’s hand. Someone made a joke about me being his girlfriend. I looked older than I was. It was embarrassing and disgusting. To make it worse, my father didn’t defend me. He was pleased someone would think he was still handsome enough to get a young girlfriend. It never occured to him how mortifying it was for me.

I never held his hand again.

18 Likes

Dog Hug GIF by MOODMAN

14 Likes