A tribute to Jim Lee for AAPI Heritage month

Originally published at: A tribute to Jim Lee for AAPI Heritage month | Boing Boing

I believe for most comic collectors, his legacy was set when he took over X-men and collaborated with Chris Claremont. Image came after and most of the stories were rehashes of Marvel property. He along with the others who broke free, established most of those artists in breaking the mold of the business. To his credit he has done great stuff for DC… but he was already legend before that.

4 Likes

X-Men #1 was the first (and really only) comic I sought out every variant of. Not because I was obsessive about the potential value or being a completist, but because I wanted to see the entire, magnificent thing. He’s the first artist I was aware of loving and it makes me so happy to see that he is still one of the preeminent creators in his field.

4 Likes

Jim Lee is fucking fantastic in everything he did. And shout out to his inker Scott Williams who makes him look even better.

I like when he lets himself explore dark shadows. He for a very brief time did some brush work that emulated Frank Miller and I thought it too was fantastic. He did a bat man I can’t find, but used the style in Deathblow and I loved it.

jimleepunisher

While recognizing AAPI, don’t forget Whilce Portacio, Filipino artist who created Bishop.

2 Likes

OH one more amazing AAPI artist - Jae Lee! I have a sketch by him, but here are some Shadow covers he did. His stuff in the 90s was bonkers with its chaotic splatter fest style.

2 Likes

Hell, it was the only time I collected comic posters. Im guility of owning a Psylocke Swimsuit edition of Jim Lee. But to your point that cover art of Xmen #1 stands out to be something I could see in an art museum.

1 Like

Yeah, tbh that aspect of comics art in the 90’s was a large reason I stopped reading serial comics. I wasn’t the raging liberal I am today, but even as a teenager it seemed like they were sacrificing any semblance of story for t&a, especially when they created Image.

The other part of that is that I got a copy of Maus from the Scholastic book fair. It fundamentally changed how I saw comics and the soap opera nature of superhero comics just lost my interest. Unfortunately, I also missed a lot of the amazing things that happened in the past 20 years or so in superhero comics, but that’s what trade paperbacks are for, I guess.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.