A Trump-endorsed candidate for Michigan legislature believes birth control should be illegal

Nah. Many are still just as deluded as ever about that. They’ll deny and deny until it’s too late. I’m with driftglass on this 100% - I just cannot understand how “pundits” in this supposed “center” could be so wrong about what the Republican Party really actually is, and still have paid positions. As far as I know, none of them have been fired for getting all of this so very obviously wrong. And of course, many of them blame this all on Trump, when obviously the GOP has been awful for decade upon decade.

4 Likes

Spot on, both of you. In the old-fashioned fantasy world these people fetishize, sex was a duty. Men and women (sorry, one of each only) were commanded to marry so they could have sex. They had sex to produce children. End of story. Taking pleasure in The Act bordered on sin. Once the children were produced there was to be no more sexual activity. Of course, since men were randy animals who often couldn’t control their desires, their wives were expected to participate in The Act whenever the old man wanted. Poor dears. At least their suffering might bring them a blessing–another child.

9 Likes

Right, why isn’t she being quiet, too? Doesn’t the Bible tell women that? “And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.”

Also, why don’t Christians keep their prayer in the literal closet, as instructed to do?
“Thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly”

Why, it’s almost as if they are cherry-picking the parts they want…

8 Likes

Note both of them say (he explicitly says this and she seems to agree) they are coming after gay marriage in that clip, too. Oh, and “everything else”.

It is not only about birth control, though that is bad enough, and also puts the lie to everything the GQP (and their bothsiderist enablers) have been saying for many years, about how this is not about controlling women, not being prudes, that it’s about “babies”, and about “leaving it up to the states”.

This is about the xtian Taliban wanting to have their way with a country that was explicitly about Enlightenment values, and in contradiction to being founded on Christianity. I mean the First Amendment and the First Commandment are in direct conflict…

8 Likes

yup. and protestants too

the nice thing about the bible – so far as fascists are concerned – is that a person can use it to justify almost any worldly view they have.

15 Likes

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

6 Likes

Yep, given the state of American democracy, being wildly unpopular is no impediment to getting into power/being enacted in law. Especially with Republicans - though normally they do things that only indirectly bite their voters on the ass, allowing them to deflect from the true cause, whereas this would be incredibly obvious…

10 Likes

Under the new anti-sex legislation it will henceforth be illegal to bite your lover on the ass.

18 Likes

Is it allowed in some states even now? :rofl: Don’t some states still have anti-sodomy (which seems to prohibit a lot of things outside p-in-v) laws on the books?

2 Likes

tumblr_20ae20def37eeed9e2aa876ec4610089_f6742e9c_540

tumblr_pwalui9vp61ynx2jeo2_540

tumblr_pwalui9vp61ynx2jeo3_540

10 Likes

Christianity is objectively evil. It needs to be destroyed.

3 Likes

Richard Dawkins enters the chat: “You called?”

14 Likes

That’s a scary point that needs to be more widely heard. And when you say strict, put it like this, even Iran allows birth control.

10 Likes

I think she probably would be quite happy to give up her right to vote once her role in bringing about Gilead is complete. She’ll run strategically to be a female voice against women’s rights, because that is politically expedient now. I have no doubt she’d hand the reigns to her husband once secular democracy is destroyed. I mean all republicans are against voting in general, yet are happy to play the game now…

I must say I really hate the puppy-dog face that fundamentalists pull when doing their “Concern for Mankind/the Unborn” schtick.

7 Likes

Definitely. I guess my suggested nuance would be that she is as regressive as the people who used religious arguments against women’s suffrage a hundred years ago. She’s not using religious arguments for the cause of progress so, as the bible says, she should be judged in the same measure as she judges others.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the GOP wants to gas those people in chambers. I think they believe that they have to kill off most of the humans alive in the US anyway and then they can force breed a pool of white babies from however many white girls they have in their possession once that’s achieved. I’m not sure I’m even using hyperbole anymore. This seems to be the actual agenda.

13 Likes

It’s the reason I appreciate the Serena character series arc in “The Handmaid’s Tale”.

6 Likes

hums the ‘Every sperm is sacred’ song

15 Likes

These are truly horrible people.

6 Likes

tte republican party has been shrinking even, arguably i’d say, as its power has been growing

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/opinions/us-census-republican-party-power-gest/index.html

one thing i think extreme gerrymandering has done is move elections to the primary where often only party members can vote and usually only the most involved. that’s meant every republican is running on who’s the most extreme, and - yeah - it gets more and more so every go around

( helped of course by america’s lack of progressive taxation and toothless campaign finance laws )

9 Likes