A vegan cheese was selected to win an industry award. Then the industry found out

Username checks out

4 Likes

Then any milk that isn’t goat or sheep based needs to indicate that on the label, as those were the original dairy animals in the West, not cows.

I eat dairy-based cheese, and I’m not going to be confused if the label says “plant-based” rather than “goat” cheese.

7 Likes

[citation needed]

2 Likes

An obvious text would be the Bible.

2 Likes

Which was written millennia after neolithisation and not in a part of the world that I would define as “the west”

3 Likes

i believe sheep were slightly earlier domesticated than cows. that doesn’t prove which milk came first, of course. but it might be an indicator… ( oto, also could well be different by region. cheese seems like a thing that’d be multiplely invented )

3 Likes

It’s considered the birthplace of Western civilization despite being on the western edge of the Asian continent.

And why wouldn’t I cite a well-known written document that discusses sheep & goats prominently rather than cows, even many years past the Neolithic Age? That would prove my point, surely!

2 Likes

I dunno on the one hand if walks like a duck and talks like a duck, let it enter the duck contest? On the other hand “It’s just sparkling wine if it’s not from the Champagne region of France”. Maybe change the name to Dairy Cheese award or whatever.

2 Likes

Or not. Nobody with the moniker ‘Creamer’ can credibly say cheese does not have to be made of milk/dairy produce.
Duncan_Veggie, as a user name would have totally checked out.

:wink:

Exactly!

2 Likes

I detest food gatekeeping. There’s nothing about the words “cheese,” “milk,” or “meat” that requires animal sources. That’s how language works. And as long as the manufacturer isn’t trying to portray their product as something it isn’t, they can call it what they want, as far as I’m concerned. Mateo Kehler, and others that think like he does, are shouting at clouds. The world is changing.

10 Likes

When it comes down to it, he notes, plants fuel the animals that produce milk — and so in concocting a milk made out of plants, Zahn says he’s just cutting out the middleman (or middle-bovine).

So cows are to cheese what civets are to coffee?

1 Like

Right. If you had a “vegan cheese” contest, and entered “real cheese”, it may win out in the competition, but it isn’t vegan cheese is by either definition or spirit.

4 Likes

Heh, it’s funny you should feel the need to specify animal milk. I can remember not that long ago people complaining that things like almond milk and soy milk weren’t real milk, which came from mammals. So apparently even definition purists have given up on that…and it looks like the word cheese is on the same path now.

(Don’t get me started on how names like “coconut meat” go back a long time.)

7 Likes
5 Likes

I don’t want to derail the thread, but I consider zooarchaeological evidence paramount over later written source, and as far as I understand that shows a roughly parallel domestication of cattle and sheep/goat in the fertile crescent. Either way, the spread of the neolithic into Europe (what I would consider the west in this context) would have brought both along, with preferences based on local geography more than anything.

5 Likes

Thus began the slow inexorable decline of civilization

1 Like

It’s vegan’s cheese monster.

3 Likes

Oh, if you’re concerned about messing up the English language I think that started at least 950 years ago.

7 Likes

To the point of the earliest version of milk consumed by man, I think breastmilk is gonna win that debate. Sucking on a cow or goat teat wasn’t until we got freakier later.

3 Likes

Embarrassing moment for the curd-smiths regardless, the cheese experience they had to offer was ranked inferior to this paste that never once saw a teat. The most cheesy cheese is vegan.

1 Like