A vegan cheese was selected to win an industry award. Then the industry found out

If one of these abominations is “cheese”: 220px-Single_wrapped_slice_of_processed_cheese, I’m feeling very generous with what can be labeled as cheese. I’m with the vegan cheese folk on this one - if it fills the cheese niche on a cheese board, I’m all for calling it cheese.

8 Likes

I think the vegan cheese monger couldn’t ask for better publicity then if Barbra Streisand sang an entire Opera declaring that it wasn’t cheese.

10 Likes

Your opinion isn’t keeping up with the technological advancements in the vegan cheese industry. I know that sentence sounds like sarcasm, but it’s not.

Climax’s vegan cheese is made by coagulating milk that contains casein proteins, just like any animal milk cheese; The only difference is that everything in the source milk and the coagulant are derived from plants.

It’s… cheese. Chemically, functionally, and comestibly(if that’s even a word). If you want to disqualify it as cheese your only real option is to impose a “was squeezed out of an animal” requirement, which is kind of bizarre and deserving of mockery.

12 Likes

There’s a fair amount of foods that we used to source from animals, that now we don’t have to. You can make sausage with vegetarian casings, though historically they were intestines. Cheeses used to be made with rennet, chymotrypsin (a digestive enzyme from calves/goats/sheep), but it can now get sourced from plants, bacteria or fungi.

2 Likes

Gonna make a pizza using rice dough, vegan cheese, turkey bacon and impossible sausage. I’ll add some pineapple just to stoke some controversy.

13 Likes

I came in here intrigued: tell me more of this delicious blue ‘cheese’!
I’ve made pizzas with gluten free crust, red pepper sauce and vegan cheese (delish!) but found slices of avocado just as yummy as the cheese like substance.

Now I really want to try this ‘cheese’! Kinda like I tracked down the fynd cream cheese (meh, ok, nothing to write home about) and was an early adopter of Impossible ‘burger’ ‘meat’ (I do not like the texture of ‘beyond’ products).

These guys couldn’t ask for better advertising! Chef’s kiss!

3 Likes

Here is a list of restaurants currently serving the Climax Blue Cheese

I really need to get over to Rebel cheese. They aren’t far

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, if you do, I want a full report. I’ve only enjoyed some of the products I can order online, and they’re great, especially the soft cheeses, but I’d love to see their shop and try some of the charcuterie without committing to a full order.

5 Likes

There’s been a ton of investment and growth in high tech plant based replacements the last decade or so. Climax themselves credit an AI-assisted discovery process in finding the plant based casein protein they currently use, and companies like Perfect Day, Miruku, and Pigmentum are straight up growing extractable dairy compounds in designer lettuce to make fully plant-based but chemically identical synthetic milk. Wild times.

AFAIK, synthetic eggs are still in development, but synthetic milk has been on the commercial market for a few years now.

Their menu sounds delicious

1 Like

And rather tender.

I giggled at the term “Gentle Reuben.”
:joy:

But, yeah, if I were closer I would totally splurge on that place.

3 Likes

at least we can all agree, it’s not a pizza until it comes out of the oven

5 Likes

Your punishment is that you have to eat it. :wink:

2 Likes

Perhaps dairies should try entering their products in vegan competitions. They might well win!

2 Likes

For me what’s important is that the food is clearly labelled for what it is. I’m quite happy with “Cheese” and “Mayonnaise” to contain animal products and others marked Vegan to not. In the case of this competition it would have been nicer to allow the animal free cheese to win but perhaps I’m being too skeptical we wouldn’t then have heard of the competition or the triumphant cheese.

1 Like

7 Likes

Mom told me about a plant called a cheese (not the Swiss cheese monstera houseplant), but thanks to google’s becoming increasingly incorrigible, I couldn’t find anything about it this time.

I did find a gorgeous Japanese iris:

Yes, they prefer soil which is
caitlin-doughty-■■■■■

6 Likes

See also Marlon Webb’s “The Milk’s Gone Baaad” Vine series.

5 Likes

The Pythons had ‘cheesy comestibles’ in a sketch about Mr Wensleydale’s shop.

4 Likes

I can attest that there are many beautiful varieties here, coming into bloom around now. This was in the forest above Nanzoin temple (the massive reclining buddha site):

3 Likes