A vigilante who killed two people complains about how hard news coverage has made his life

…The case didn’t hinge on whether they were cannibal rapists either, but somehow I suspect sensible people would say letting the defense refer to them as such would have been prejudicial anyway.

13 Likes

It was two years ago now (forty years COVID time)

14 Likes

Aw, man, that sucks. If only you had just, like, not shot those people, y’know.

7 Likes

Was it 2020? Wow. I have definitely lost time in those two decades.

9 Likes

According to Devin of Legal Eagle (who isn’t a right wing apologist), in cases where self defense is being argued, it is pretty standard to not allow the victims to be labeled as such.

There were other things bullshit about the trial, IMO, but apparently this specific thing was typical behavior in the court room.

Source:

1 Like

Alternate title: Man Learns About the Consequences of His Own Actions

2 Likes

Its not a rule or even a law. It was the judge’s policy. Hence it was the subject of a procedural ruling. Doing so was prejudicial as well as referring to them as “looters”. Just because a practice is done regularly, doesn’t mean it is proper or absolves the court of prejudice.

My biggest beef with the trial was allowing the use of surprise “expert” witnesses for the defense and a very askew version of what constituted a reasonable threat. Especially given the first victim was shot making defensive gestures while having a gun trained on him. Rittenhouse was aggressive, sought the victim out, and didn’t act like someone who was threatened or believed themselves to be. Judge Shroeder put his thumbs on the scales in that case in obvious ways.

8 Likes

I hope you rack up tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees you will never be able to repay in fruitless attempts at ‘making them pay’.

You wanna know who is really responsible for that?
Go look in a mirror.

I hope Mortal Fear stalks you every day for the rest of your miserable life.

Haven’t even tried to get an honest job, have you?
Too busy riding the Grifter Train with all your new-found friends, eh?
You want sympathy? Go look in a dictionary. It’s right between ‘shit’ & ‘syphillis’…
Murderer.

9 Likes

Oh, Boo Hoo!

1 Like

I really thought they would find him guilty on that guy. :confused:

4 Likes

Once they brought in the surprise witnesses and the judge let Rittenhouse pick out the name for the excused jurors, all pretense of propriety ceased.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.