Kyle Rittenhouse evading civil suit, say lawyers

Originally published at: Kyle Rittenhouse evading civil suit, say lawyers | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Rittenhouse’s attorneys had argued that the Huber case against him should be dismissed because Rittenhouse wasn’t properly served with the lawsuit. Adelman dismissed that, saying that Rittenhouse “is almost certainly evading service.”

This is by definition a frivolous claim. Personal service is not necessary to commence a lawsuit against an individual. Every state has alternate means to prevent/punish service evasion.

33 Likes

As with Miscavige, Horst Rittenhouse is only doing this with a lot of help. I doubt that his confederates have the resources or ratf*cking institutional knowledge of the Co$, though (not that it saved Miscavige in the end).

24 Likes

Imagine being a “celebrity” because you got off on a technicality, for a murder charge, like Kyle and OJ before him.

20 Likes

Probably hanging out at fellow scoundrel George Zimmerman’s house.

21 Likes

Have they checked the cardboard boxes at Mar-a-Lago?

19 Likes

My standard response to many stories these days, “Lock him/her/them up!”

11 Likes

How could his attorneys respond to the lawsuit to ask that it be dismissed if he was unaware of the suit? Seems like he and the attorneys should be charged with contempt over that stunt.

24 Likes

My standard response has now gone beyond that to musing about what to lock them up in and maybe what/who with.

11 Likes

… a room… together. :+1:

7 Likes

I was thinking more like a 6ft square room with a rabid, starving carnivore?

7 Likes

Well, I AM assuming that MTG will be one of the inmates.

17 Likes

Given how many public appearances the little asshole makes, I’m surprised they had difficulty finding him…

17 Likes

I’d never heard of him before but I believe OJ was in fact super famous in the US before becoming a famous murderer.

12 Likes

Fire ants can be rabid? Learn something new every day.

(/s)

8 Likes

The great thing about this kind of lawsuit is it keeps the killers from effectively monetyzing their infamy.

11 Likes

You’re allowed to make a motion to dismiss in lieu of answering a Complaint, based on various technical faults. People can be made aware of a lawsuit after the fact through means other than being served.

5 Likes

This is an easy answer. Just send him an invite to speak before a massive right wing gun club. As he arrives, serve him. Done.

18 Likes

This. At best evading a process server just draws out the ordeal a bit longer, causing more headaches and expense for both sides. As with David Miscavige, the court will eventually tire of these evasion shenanigans and rule that Rittenhouse has been duly served.

I’m no expert on civil law but I believe it’s generally possible to serve papers through a respondent’s lawyers instead of taking them to the subject directly. That’s how I was served court documents once, but neither I nor my lawyer tried to evade the process server since it wouldn’t have made any difference and we wanted to get it over with (luckily in my case the court saw the complaint for the frivolous garbage it was).

16 Likes

Well, that would simply result in a Romulus and the She-Wolf kinda situation, no?

Disgusted Puke GIF by HBO Max

7 Likes