A viral hoax video has inspired Indian mobs to multiple, brutal murders

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/20/indian-pizzagate.html

5 Likes

Well good to know the stupid isn’t simply limited to the USA.
Also what the fuck people?!?!. Seriously.

19 Likes

A few years ago rumors began spreading via WhatsApp that a woman was kidnapping children in Brazil. It had a picture taken from somewhere in Central America. That didn’t prevent people from beating a woman to death because they looked alike.

I thought the Internet would make us better people; it just makes us louder and faster.

16 Likes

This is also pretty standard behavior for Russian “intelligence”, going back to the KGB.

3 Likes

Wow. We need this kind of enthusiasm in the US where children actually are being kidnapped by the actual, in power, government.

Don’t get me wrong. This is absolutely atrocious and I don’t want people to start lynching government officials. But it might help if those particular officials thought it could happen if they don’t slow their roll.

You know. Consequences for their evil, that kind of thing.

2 Likes

Those primitive foreigners. Thank goodness we civilized people would never shoot up a pizzeria over a fictional trafficking ring.

23 Likes

I was coming to say the exact same thing. word for word.

2 Likes

Ah yes - Stranger Danger. It is mostly bullshit all around the world :confused:

Also, there is a whole “child kidnapping/sex trafficking” panic going through suburban America. Every. Goddamn. Time. I take my kid anywhere, I have to hear reminders to keep her close, go with her to the bathroom, etc etc.

6 Likes

Communal violence is an everyday occurrence in many parts of India. This is just the excuse today. If they didn’t have that, they’d make up another one, or run with one of their many genuine grievances.

Also in Assam, the locals periodically massacre illegal immigrants from Bangladesh, and members of the tea tribes. This is nothing exceptional in that part of the world.

I went through the next town over from where this happened a few years ago, but we had better sense than to stop and ask for directions. If you’re not traveling with a local it’s best not to mess with them.

(And “local” means very local. I was with a friend from a different part of Assam, but as these guys found out, that doesn’t count as local. )

5 Likes

It might be worthwhile to add an Indian voice to this conversation. Here’s one view from a (relatively) local source.

4 Likes

Nothing ever makes us better. That’s our job.

As for louder and faster, I’ll take a large coffee.

2 Likes

Weaponized PsyOps?

2 Likes

I bet government officials are already buying tactical pants and hiring security forces in case the people rise up.

2 Likes

We have this kind of vigilantism here to an extent. Remember the guy who showed up armed to investigate the Pizzagate hoax? And there wasn’t even a video. We aren’t above this kind of stuff at all.

1 Like

Yup. If the mob wasn’t slaughtering strangers over rumors of stealing away children, there’d be killing the neighborhood muslim family over rumors that they slaughtered a cow. In fact that’s happened multiple times.

4 Likes

Chilling…

Yes, apparently people in India are as stupid as Amerikans.

1 Like

Stranger%20Danger

2 Likes

Fascists need people to be afraid to control them. Doesn’t matter whether they’re afraid of a straw man or of them, works either way.

2 Likes

Sorry. I should have been clearer:

Of course the right has this kind of enthusiasm. It’s practically the logo of the brand at this point. And might be part of why the GOP are acting with vile impunity; their frothy peeps have their backs.

Most of “we” must be above it, or else with our level of population – and massive number of guns – far more things would be popping off than a guy showing up armed to a pizza parlor.

1 Like