A visit to the eerie abandoned TEKOI test center in Utah

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/29/a-visit-to-the-eerie-abandoned.html

4 Likes

Why is the signpost in the Cyrillic alphabet? Wolverines!

5 Likes

Alien autopsy lab?

Seriously–so typical of the military to just abandon their used shit.

5 Likes

START I / New START treaty inspection site. Hard to find info on it unfortunately, but CGP talks about it quite a bit.

Notably, it isn’t TEKOI, it’s Tekoi. Not an acronym.

It was leased to Hercules from a Native American reservation of Goshutes. Through a series of merges, Herc and Thikiol (you know, the space shuttle SRBM people) became the same company and moved up to Thikiol’s Promontory, Utah testing facility.

Damn CGP, caused me to write this article when the vid came out: Tekoi - Wikipedia

14 Likes

Oh, cool; thanks for that info. :+1:

2 Likes

Going alone does seem to be asking for trouble; as does driving through tumbleweed.

3 Likes

Interesting place, how it’s completely open these days. I guess the secrets had an expiration date.

I would have liked to see the racks at 12:45 in some detail, the 1970s vintage computers are amusing at least. That ~HP9810 computer on the desk is now a collector’s item.

6 Likes

For what it’s worth, the electronics racks we saw in the ‘instrument bunker’ were just as one would expect them to be, with lots of data acquisition equipment wired to the sensors. The time code generator box with the rotary switches that he liked was used to provide time stamps for the measurements.

6 Likes

Pretty sure I saw a headcrab in the shadows.

6 Likes

“You’re wanted in the… Anomalous Materials Lab.”

4 Likes

I wanted to watch the whole thing but the man needs a Steadicam or something. Watching this was starting to make me nauseous.

Ironic that the whole site has been taken over by trollish invaders from Russia. I guess Red Dawn wasn’t hysterically paranoid enough.

1 Like

Pitchforks work a heck of a lot better for clearing out tumbleweeds. Personal experience speaking.

2 Likes

Does anyone know what make/model his backpack is?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.