For sale: Decommissioned underground missile complex in Arizona

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/15/for-sale-decommissioned-under.html

4 Likes

I’m just reading Hugh Howey’s “Wool”. No bunkers for me, thank you very much.

4 Likes

Oh boy, you have the opportunity to buy so much ASBESTOS.

It looks like they’ve had a difficult time keeping the humidity under control given the amount of rust everywhere. This seems a bit surprising since it’s in the desert.

8 Likes

Looks more spacious than what I’d envisioned after listening to Josh Ritter for the last 12+ years.

Hmmm. 0 Bedroom, 0 Bath. And no Zestimate or comparable estimate to other Titan II missile complexes? Think I’ll pass on this one.

4 Likes

No mismatched windows, misplaced turrets, too tall chimneys or unusable balconys, I’ll take it!

16 Likes

400 grand is a lot for Kimmy Schmidt cosplay. If I could talk them down to 300k, though…

6 Likes

I think I’d want to know that it was listed as decommissioned in the Russian and Chinese databases.

It has internet and TV, but who’s the provider?

10 Likes

I was about to submit a bid on this when I found out Comcast is the only option. I’M OUT!

8 Likes

Too bad! I was wondering if it was still accidentally plugged into MILNET.

4 Likes

The Fallout fan in me wants this so bad. But the grownup me realizes what an ongoing nightmare this thing would be to renovate and keep up with.

6 Likes

There has got to be so much residual toxic chemicals from those rockets, let alone the asbestos. Whoever owns this is trying to unload a GIGANTIC problem. They should pay someone millions to take it.

1 Like

Strange, this monochrome screen just turned on and is asking:

13 Likes

oh yeah, this thing is full of decaying crap, and after the $400k purchase price, you have a major salvage/cleanout project ahead of you with associated costs. Most of the old materials have to be removed.

As to moisture: part of the decommissioning process of these silos, per treaty, involved blowing the top 20 feet of the silo off with explosives. This often leads to an influx of groundwater; in some places, the silos ended up totally flooded as water flowed in over decades. Add that to the list of costly issues to clean up.

There was a youtuber that recorded his progress trying to make a silo he purchased livable:

9 Likes

So much rust, it would take a small army a year to refurb that thing.

Plus it’s in the middle of nowhere-- “near Tuscon”? It’s in the desert between Tuscon and Phoenix, at least ten miles from the very outer edge of either metropolitan area (I guess maybe that’s the big selling point though.) Going to the store for groceries would mean a half tank of gas and most of a day.

Anyway, for that price I can buy two “decommissioned” churches in some nice old New England town.

Oh well, now you can totally forget it, buddy.

5 Likes

$400,000 and I can’t smoke in bed? Pass.

3 Likes

Seems silly you can’t smoke in bed there, I mean those asbestos blankets are there to protect you from fire… and a long life.

3 Likes

Meow Wolf had posted that it would be a pretty cool space for them. I’d give my lungs over to asbestos to see that.

This sounds almost perfect for my space junk shelter startup…

2 Likes

It would make a better meth lab, ala Breaking Bad.

Rust? Asbestos? Are you high? We’re cooking in here, man!

2 Likes