A way to view a user's past avatars <strike>(and names)</strike>

So… not yet? I don’t see it on the lists for this week’s release, the following release, or the “whenever we get around to it” release.

Well, anyway. It’ll be a nifty thing if it does eventually come to pass. I didn’t realize the feature queue was so backed up.

4 Likes

Well then we need to make sure it locks out access to old avatars prior to the username change as well.
It’s no good changing your username if people can still find your highly distinctive prior avatar.

2 Likes

I guess i didn’t really think about it one way or the other, but it was flattering to see @codinghorror ask me to type up the proposal. I’ve helped with some bugs in the past and I’ve given a little design input before, a bit of which was even accepted on some level. But even if it’s rejected, I think it’s fun. That the Discourse team is so open to input is so satisfying. My life would be so much more meaningful if the gatekeepers to everything I regularly used would be as accepting of feedback as the Discourse team; it’s just a nicer way to live, y’know?

7 Likes

Some useful stuff coming up in that, too.

warn posters when they are about to post a link that’s already been posted earlier in the topic

for example. Thanks! :smiley:

5 Likes

Sixteen years ago my brother was using Scriptware as his preferred screenwriting software, and back then I was working as his assistant. The last two releases of the software fixed bugs that he and I had submitted directly to the management (I believe they were a very small company), and fixed them pretty much immediately after we submitted them. That last release, v3.13, was as far as I can tell the last version ever released. (Check out their website. I don’t think they can possibly still be in business.)

And that was okay with me, since v3.13 proved to be, as far as I could ever tell, completely bug-free. I’d still be using Scriptware myself if I hadn’t eventually gotten tired of having to export to Final Draft every time I needed someone else to be able to read and edit scripts. It was quite satisfying to help perfect a good piece of software.

2 Likes

yeah, if a username gets changed beyond the 3-day intro period when it can be changed at will, then that means it was changed for “hide me” reasons and with a mod’s help. revealing that change should be locked out of this application’s purview, I agree.

5 Likes

It was a great write up! For any big things you’d like to see Discourse do, feel free to open meta topics about it.

Like, say if you want ∞ likes…

9 Likes

Why would I want my likes to look like a drunk eight?

5 Likes

I see I’m not the only one who’s thought about this. Shouldn’t posts stick with the avatar that the post was made under, regardless of the user’s current avatar? Seems like that could be an important bit of lost context.

For instance, someone posting “I’m just asking questions!” type things as Pepe The Frog or an anime girl has a clear overtone that a more innocuous avatar wouldn’t. Going back and reading erstwhile-Pepe’s posts without the avatar could lead to mistaken impressions.

EDIT: My avatar is a toad btw, and in this case Frog and Toad are not friends.

11 Likes

Awww…

17 Likes

I’ve thought about this a lot as well. I definitely feel that BBs peeps mostly recognize me by my avatar and it’s why I still use my original one, although relatively recently I spruced it up by replacing it with a higher quality version and centering it. Even after messing around with different ones I have always returned to some version of my original.

5 Likes

Should we have time limits on how often you can change your avatar? Like maybe only once per day or something? Even if we showed last 5 avatars, people could simply change their avatar 5 times rapidly to get around that…

3 Likes

Oh lord, are we going to try and put a daily limit on something again? :wink:

I don’t have a strong opinion on this one, though in the past I have been suprised going back to comments after the user changed avatar. Perhaps lock the avatar to the post as @L_Mariachi suggests?

5 Likes

:frowning2: :cry:

5 Likes

These things go hand in hand because of abuse. If we store the last 5 avatars, all you would need to do is rapidly change your avatar 5 times in 10 minutes.

Always design for evil, because if you don’t, everyone gets fucked.

5 Likes

I don’t consider what I’m doing either evil or fucking anyone.

But if you’re planning to limit things, then could you maybe have a look at fixing other things as well?
With no decent preview facility for changes, the circle makes it tricky to tell exactly how it’s going to look and scale against a black or white background and in various sizes.
So there’s actually a legit reason for switching quickly in a short time other than evil.

5 Likes

This would be automatically covered like grace periods in editing already are, though. That is not at all what I was referring to.

3 Likes

I don’t understand then. Not that I suppose it really matters, anyway. A better preview system would be nice, but I imagine that would be very low priority :slight_smile:

And if anyone is confused, fucked over or whatever coz of me switching pics, please let me know. There’s noting malicious in it.

2 Likes

I live in in a perpetual state of confusion, but that has nothing to do with you.

6 Likes

Maybe it should be like Doctor Who regenerations or changing your DVD player region. You only get so many changes…