A way to view a user's past avatars <strike>(and names)</strike>

I think i addressed this earlier? my idea was that if someone was rapidly changing their avatar, then the rapid changes wouldn’t be counted towards their public record of “last five avatars” (or "X number of avatars, " or a huge scrolling list of all of them–however the record is implemented)

The trick is deciding on what constitutes rapid change. an av that only stood for a day (24hrs) or less? I’d certainly be on board for anything less than a day. I’d personally be on board for any av that posted for less than several days to not show on the record, but that surely has to do with my particular mental block of thinking of the users here as pictures (“faces”) rather than screen-names.

but imposing a limit on the ability of users to change avatars at will seems needlessly draconian and very “no fun allowed.” I’m just trying to figure out who I’m talking to, not limit their free expression.

3 Likes

I think being able to change it once a day and maintaining a list of the last few would be fine.

I’m some variation of a unicorn, usually brass or orange. I hope that’s enough consistency because I like being able to swap avatars seasonally.

4 Likes

Maybe do it like the avatars on the topic listing? Each topic has the initial poster, the three most prolific posters that are not the initial poster, and then the most recent poster who is not already listed.

So, I would do their current avatar, their most recent previous avatar, and then the three avatars that they kept for the longest period of time before that. Or (yes, I know that this would be much more difficult to implement) the three avatars that they posted the highest number of replies using.

Either would be more difficult to abuse than a “five most recent” list.

5 Likes

I endorse this.

this seems like it could also help with the poster who wanted a way to keep the avatar pics that they return to most handy within their profile.

3 Likes

My avatar is Indubitably, forever.

I made this with charcoal and my hands

2 Likes

ya, I never change mine, either. “do unto others” and all that. I get confused so I don’t want to confuse anybody else. also I spent a fair amount of time getting the image isolated from the original photo and touched-up, though it isn’t my original idea.

2 Likes

'tis okay, for you put effort into it, yeah?

i lived in fire for mine. different stories, fer sure, but relevant.

3 Likes

This is like, probably my fifth BB account, although it uses one of my oldest handles.

Interestingly enough (OK, interesting to me, anyway) it’s not just other people’s perceptions of me that reset when I dump an old account and create a new one. I find my own voice changing too; not necessarily bettering, but changing.

5 Likes

So, who are you, then?

:wink:

2 Likes

ONLY THE SHADOW KNOWS!

Well, honestly, I leak information online pretty badly, so if you really want to know I’m sure you could figure it out with little effort. People who don’t even actually know me personally recognize me all the time. Which I’d rather they didn’t, but so it goes.

3 Likes

Ok lets find out.
Who are you?[poll type=multiple min=1 max=5 public=true]

• I’m medievalist.
  • I’m Medievalist…
  • I’m Medievalist…
  • I’m Medievalist and sos my wife.
  • Who’s medievalist.
    [/poll]

This topic was automatically closed after 210 days. New replies are no longer allowed.