A world record for the most ghost peppers eaten? It's been an honor serving with you

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/26/a-world-record-for-the-most-gh.html

5 Likes

As someone with spice sensitivity and acid reflux, I’m just gonna tap out before even watching the video.

24 Likes

What goes in…

14 Likes

As someone who likes eating hot chillies (and Bhut Jolokia are far from the hottest) I’m with you.

Also, from the rules

The contestant may not drink water during the attempt

Water will not help you, capsaicin is not water soluble. It is fat soluble though.

11 Likes

I LOVE hot food and I know how that stuff will get back to the light of day in a few hours, not kidding my sphincter cringes in phantom pain.

10 Likes

16 Likes

So would using lidocaine back there as a per-emptive measure help?

Personally, I don’t like spicy things at all. My joke is “make it 5 year old spicy”. (Which doesn’t work if your kid is raised around spicy food, but you get the point.)

Cinnamon is the only hot spice that I like. Like I will eat an atomic fire ball. Maybe because it is sweet tasting too? I do love the smell and flavor of it.

5 Likes

So drink gravy instead? Got it!

5 Likes

Yeah, same here, but for some reason, it never has an impact on me in that way and I’m also lucky that I don’t get acid reflux like @knoxblox. However, as I have aged and eaten increasing levels of spicy food, I definitely have desensitized to the degree that I wouldn’t want to do this for fear of losing my taste for it altogether. I cook for the family, so I have to maintain some level of tolerance for everyone’s sake.

5 Likes

So what you are saying is the jolokia is going to be on his bhut. Agreed.

7 Likes

I get nervous seeing things like this. Besides the discomfort of it going in (and, er… out), eating the extremely hot peppers can actually be dangerous (like, fatally so). I wonder if these ghost peppers are sufficiently hot to potentially be a hazard and how much acclimatization to capsicum helps as a defense…

1 Like

MAN IN BLACK: They were both poisoned. I spent the last few years building up an immunity to Iocaine powder.

8 Likes

Ghost peppers are insane.
My friend gave me one a few years ago before I was setting up to make a large batch of chili.
I put HALF a chili in roughly a gallon or maybe gallon and a half, then otherwise made it like I normally would. It was unbelievably hot.

2 Likes

7 Likes

I enjoy flavorful and hot food quite a bit, but I once ate a 1/4” square of a Carolina reaper and thought that I had made a massive, costly mistake. I’m not sure if I admire or fear the people who eat them whole.

1 Like

Just in case anyone out there hasn’t heard, milk actually works pretty well.

4 Likes

I don’t feel like that precludes you from calling it madness. Risking severe internal damage for a good cause doesn’t make this sane.

2 Likes

In order of what I would be drinking:

• heavy whipping cream
  • 110 degree bacon fat
  • liquid beef tallow
2 Likes

There’s something not right in the head with us. I grow and eat stupid hot peppers. Mostly I make hot sauce, but I like to chop up a scorp or a 7pot and sprinkle it on whatever I’m eating. At that level it’s still pretty pleasant.

When I harvest, though, I get really into tasting the differences between each cultivar, and comparing how they’re ripening as the season gets on. This translates into eating a ton of fresh superhots. The endorphin rush is real. There’s something I call emotional knowledge. Like we all understand intellectually that these things won’t physically hurt you – your mouth is fine in 20 minutes and the next day on the toilet’s a discomfort, but there’s no real harm done. It’s doing it enough times to believe it that lets you set aside the face on fire pain and enjoy the way your ears tickle.

Also, I make burritos by the dozen and freeze them, then pull one every day for lunch. I’ll put chilies of some sort in all of them but I like to load up a couple per batch with a couple fresh ones and not label them. Every day at lunch is like russian roulette but with burritos. Keeps it exciting.

7 Likes

Raised by a mom that liked hot food, I have to tell thai restaurants to “make it brown people spicy” (which as I also have slanty eyes and dark skin is probably less offensive than it seems when it’s written out on the interwebz).

That being said, this video is absolute insanity. Oral pain notwithstanding, this is going to wreak serious havoc on his GI system.

4 Likes