New world's hottest chili is more pungent than police pepper spray

Originally published at: New world's hottest chili is more pungent than police pepper spray | Boing Boing

What’s it taste like though? Ghost tastes like ass, so Habenero has been my choice for spicy. Probably don’t want anything more at this point.

11 Likes

3 Likes

Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

9 Likes

Obligatory:
images
“Mmm. Incapacitating…”

12 Likes

The perpetual breeding for “the hottest pepper in the world” as a means of showing off one’s e-peen doesn’t impress me, particularly when the only thing that happens is that one’s tongue is napalmed. If there’s no flavor to go with the heat, why bother?

18 Likes

This is pretty much why I’ve stuck with Habenero and Hatch. Even Jalapenos are too bitter for me.

5 Likes

“Those cramps are horrible. I was laid out flat on a marble wall for approximately an hour in the rain, groaning in pain.”

Ngapa Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

9 Likes

It’s a sport. Like eating a hundred hot dogs or nettles

2 Likes

Weapons-grade hot peppers. There is a limit to what is tolerable and safe but the boundary is drawing competitors.

3 Likes

Yeah, great, sounds like fun.

Oh, I’d say they’re well over the boundary at this point. Pepper spray kills a certain number of people each year, and this is worse, so… yeah, the border guards have waved us out of “safe and tolerable” and the passports have been stamped for “could kill you” territory.

8 Likes

“Pepper X?” “X?!” How unoriginal can you be? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I’ve never eaten a whole, raw ghost pepper, but every ghost pepper sauce I’ve had has been delicious. But you’re right about habaneros. They have a great flavor. Jalapenos are overly acidic and bitter, which makes them seem hotter than they are. I usually go for serranos if I’m going for a better tasting pepper in that heat range. I used to be really into eating super hot stuff, but the older I get, the less I enjoy that. Now, I still enjoy really spicy foods, but not so spicy that I’m regretting it about 12 hours later.

4 Likes

How about the Musk pepper? So extreme that it’s generally intolerable to humans…much like the man himself.

9 Likes

It’s not sauce that turned me off, but some “Ghost Pepper Jack” cheese. It was just completely and utterly nasty. It wasn’t too hot for me, but the taste drove me away. I wanted it for some grilled cheese sandwiches too :frowning:

Obligs:
Homer Simpson Eating GIF

3 Likes

I don’t even like regular pepper jack cheese. I like Monterrey jack, I like peppers, but I don’t think the combination works. Not for me anyway.

On a tangentially related note, I went to Red Robin today for the first time in about 5 years. My favorite burger there was always the Ghost Tavern Double. It had a ghost pepper sauce as well as fresh jalapeno slices and fried jalapeno slices, and it was a legitimately spicy burger. They took it off the menu at some point in the last 5 years. I saw a burger on the menu with a scorpion pepper sauce and the jalapenos, so I ordered that. It was so disappointing. I’ve had black pepper that was spicier.

1 Like

Sort of like the Taco Bell Reaper that didn’t have any burn whatsoever.

Found out something weird recently. Spicy chips (Hot fries, and Reaper Cheese puffs) just tear me up. Sick to my stomach for a day or two and intestinal issues. Real food that’s even hotter, no problem. Trying to figure out what causes the difference.

1 Like

I have GERD pretty bad. Hot chiles don’t bother me. Donuts destroy me. I don’t know about you, but for me, it’s sugar. Anything loaded with tons of sugar and other carbs just causes me problems. And yeah, Flamin’ Hot whatever and other hot and spicy chips are the worst. They’re high in carbs and they often have added sugar. Because fuck let’s put sugar in everything. YMMV, but that’s my theory for me.

2 Likes

“Pepper X?” “X?!” How unoriginal can you be?
[/quote]

How about the Musk pepper? So extreme that it’s generally intolerable to humans…much like the man himself.

In fact I hear they’d originally planned to call it The Twitter Pepper.

1 Like