A young caged teen in a Texas immigration camp is teaching other kids to change caged toddlers' diapers

https://twitter.com/arunindy/status/1008920876656427008?s=21

5 Likes
2 Likes

A useful thread on that topic:

…which ends with this:

4 Likes

Exactly so.

Another worthwhile context thread:

1 Like

this is disgusting

I’m in the UK. How can I help change this? Not asking helplessly, I want to see this stop.

1 Like

“What’s this?”

“A bill from Camp Barron for diapers. Your kid used seventeen of them last week.”

These folks could probably use a few pounds:

But more directly: how’s the situation for immigrants and refugees in the UK? There might be some people nearby who could use some help.

Ah, yes.

Fuck.

2 Likes

Snopes, of all websites, has an answer to my earlier question, of sorts:

Nor is there any guarantee that a deported parent will be reunited with their child before being removed from the country or a guarantee that a child would be notified if their parent had been deported. On 17 June 2018, the New York Times described one such instance of that occurring:

The Border Patrol was waiting as [Elsa Ortiz and her son Anthony] made their way from the border on May 26, and soon mother and son were in a teeming detention center in southern Texas. The next part unfolded so swiftly that, even now, Ms. Ortiz cannot grasp it: Anthony was sent to a shelter for migrant children. And she was put on a plane back to Guatemala.
“I am completely devastated,” Ms. Ortiz, 25, said in one of a series of video interviews last week from her family home in Guatemala. Her eyes swollen from weeping and her voice subdued, she said she had no idea when or how she would see her son again.

In these cases, which the Times reported to be occurring in “several” instances, there is an even higher risk that a child is never reunited with their parents. John Sandweg, who was acting director of ICE during the Obama administration, told the paper that reunification is especially difficult when a parent is deported without the child and that, in those cases “there is a very high risk that parents and children will be permanently separated.”

Sandweg reiterated this point to several other outlets as well. “If the administration doesn’t reunify these children very quickly, which is logistically very hard to do, you’re going to have a lot of permanent separations,” he told a reporter for the Canadian outlet Global News.

Fuck Trump. Fuck Sessions. Fuck the Republican Party. Fuck Fox News. Fuck Cambridge Analytica. Fuck Putin.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.