Accordion gangs terrorise Lesotho

It seems like there must be more to the story than this.

I have no reason to doubt that using a local accordion-based flavor of music as a medium for trash-talking your opponents is in fact occurring, along with some cycles of retributive violence partially mediated by such trash-talking; but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a cycle of violence that’s primed and ready to go but hampered by absence of a ready means of transmitting insults; or a ready means of transmitting insults so cutting that it leads directly to a deadly cycle of retributive violence.

Does anyone know what the background is in terms of recruitment, motivation, economic incentives of the formal and informal sector, that sort of thing?

5 Likes

Yes, although I haven’t traveled to the African continent yet, I’ve been enough places to see that everyone has their own flavor of misogyny.

5 Likes

Laughed, and I like both of those instruments.

7 Likes

So what happens if a member of the accordion gang travels to Mexico and encounters a member of the Mariachi gang? Could be another Robert Rodriguez film.

13 Likes

“Plastic Surgeon Arrested with Stash of Stolen Mouths”

:rofl:

6 Likes

I grew up being forced to hear polka music all the time, so I had a grudge against the accordion, took me years to appreciate that it’s a pretty cool instrument (when you’re not playing cornball shit like “Who Stole The Kishka” all the time.)

13 Likes

This is what happens when Weird Al goes on worldwide tours

7 Likes

To be clear, it is not the accordions with which the terrorising is accomplished…

That’s just, like, your opinion, man.

10 Likes

Just the phrase Accordion Gangs makes me think of this lovely scene from the movie Holy Motors.

1 Like

I really wanted this to be a happy story of how people who used to be gangsters learned to fight their battles via accordion… sadly, it’s the exact opposite.

Disappointed Malcolm In The Middle GIF by Malcolm France

15 Likes

Paul Simon’s song The Boy in the Bubble features an accordionist from Lesotho.

4 Likes

5 Likes

yes this in “fact” (don’t quote me on that) an organized accordion gang. their racketeering is composed of protection money (ie being paid not to play regular sets in front of local businesses) . they also arrange local “hits” made to look like accidents which are usually subcontracted out to the local piano gang. part of their success is believed to be due to their business dealings being carried out under the cover of a weekly “music” Jam which authorities have refused to listen in on .

Here’s the Famo song that The Boy in the Bubble is based on.

3 Likes

@DonatellaNobody , what’s the tradition? I buy you a coke?

from Flickr | Let's Polka – An Accordion Blog

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.