Accused harasser re-used apology email for several alleged victims

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/07/accused-harasser-re-used-apolo.html

4 Likes

Well if that doesn’t say I am only sorry I was caught I don’t know what else does…

8 Likes

Christ. I don’t know whether to be appalled by him having so many victims that he has to use a form letter to apologise, or to abhor that he actually used form letters to apologise.

Insert whynotboth.gif here.

5 Likes

I don’t see the problem here. Work smarter, not harder. /s

6 Likes

I’m going to wade in to this problem, because I am a man who is guilty of being what current feminists call a “softboi” in those party and rave-fueled days of the late 80s and early 90s.
I have possibly committed dozens of offenses in my previous life (pre-university), exerted mainly through patience and pressure, and really don’t know what became of these young women since then. The chickens will come home to roost, though, and I’m terrified about whether my apologies will be taken seriously.
Reaching out to this many people, one is bound to repeat oneself. A cursory glance at Webster’s offers only one satisfactory synonym for “apology”, which would be “plea”.

I am in no way justifying his behavior (especially the form letter), but the outcome of apologizing seems to be a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” situation that is necessary to experience to find a correct path to admission of guilt and reparations made. I think the general concensus is that punishment should, and will, be painful no matter how eloquent or sincere the apology.

I want to know (from the women here), is there ever an apology that would be accepted as sincere? I think not, and I don’t blame women a bit for disbelieving.

8 Likes

You know, there really is no problem. If you want to send an insincere pseudo-pology, no point in wasting creativity. May as well mass-produce em.

Then again, that strategy backfired on Sir John Falstaff…

4 Likes

A Salesforce.com plug-in?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.