Accused pedophile Matt Gaetz no longer eligible to practice law in Florida

Make it sporting!

I mean, I don’t doubt someone threatened him. I highly doubt the person was IDed, found out to be in DC, and then nothing was done.

1 Like

I’m a Canadian lawyer so I don’t know exactly how it works in Florida. But I’d guess that typically, yes, if you’re a normal boring lawyer who isn’t being investigated for being a paedophile and you just failed to pay your fees one time, getting reinstated is likely just a matter of paying the fees and maybe jumping through some bureaucratic hoops.

But it looks like the Florida bar, like most bars, has a “good character and fitness” requirement. So even if he did this intentionally and voluntarily, that doesn’t mean the Florida Bar is going to welcome him with open arms should he decide later that he wants to come back.

And I agree with the lawyers interviewed that most people who are taking their legal career seriously won’t just let their bar admission lapse like this. You might pay the fees to go on the “inactive” list if you know you won’t be practicing in that jurisdiction anytime in the near future. But you wouldn’t let it lapse just to save $200 a year. (I’m active in one province and inactive in another).

8 Likes

There is also his cocaine dealer (he’s probably a deadbeat) and MTG (The end of the affair was especially hard on her).

4 Likes

The good character and fitness part doesn’t come into play for people except for 1st year lawyers. Usually not much beyond not being convicted of a felony or being previously suspended/disbarred.

Letting the fee lapse is a matter of paying the dues and probably a penalty.

2 Likes

Can you even begin to imagine how horrible a person has to be to be rejected by lawyers?

9 Likes

Rudy might just be desperate enough to hire Gaetz.

8 Likes

“I recently graduated from law school and I am a Redditor”

2 Likes

why should he care?
Daddy is going to pay his bills

2 Likes

Daddy didn’t pay this particular $265 bill though.

7 Likes

that’s only because it’s not as important as getting his little boy out of a criminal conviction or a DUI

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.