'Act like a lady,' Denver police tell journalist as they handcuff and detain her for photographing them

I guess “act[ing] like a lady” could be the next “nevertheless, she persisted.”

6 Likes

That’s not only copspeak.

11 Likes

I guess her body was resisting arrest by refusing to move in ways her joints didn’t allow.

Is ‘resisting arrest’ ever used as anything but a bullshit charge to send people who were arrested for no legitimate reason to prison?

13 Likes

Nah, that’s pretty much it.

In Oz legal circles, it’s known as “the holy trinity”: resisting arrest / obscene language / assault on police.

AKA “what they charge you with after a cop beats you up”.

17 Likes

“Act like an officer”? :thinking:

I get #NotAllPoPo, but at the same time, I can see why the shittiest, whitest, angriest men become police officers in much the same way pedofiles become coaches and priests.

4 Likes
3 Likes

unfortunately they’ve also invoked their right to delete under GDPR, so we’re going to need you to delete that comment @docosc :wink:

1 Like

I had a run in with cops myself a couple weeks ago. I was watching the stars too late in a park in Pittsburgh, and went to drive home, 2 cops kept a spotlight on me, blinding me, when it was clear that both I and date were not doing anything other than hugging each other under stars as we walked to car.

I made the mistake of saying we’d done nothing wrong, and that I don’t trust police. (I moved during Anton Rose shooting in East Pittsburgh- I lived 3 blocks from the cop murdering him). The cops then say no, the majority of people do trust the police. Instead of just telling us park closed a bit ago while we were there, for future reference, and simply let us leave as we were about to, they proceed to take and run my licence, AND my dates! For no reason, other than I said I don’t trust the police.

The whole time, blinded by police spotlights. For having a date at night in a city park.

Finally they read off my last address. “Are you still at East Pittsburgh?” I respond no, the whole time asking if Im being detained or free to go- and said angrily “now you know why I don’t trust the cops!”

“Have a good evening sir, move along”.

NWA was right. Fuck the police. And for the record, though it should never matter, Im a white guy. I will never, never trust the police. When you think like a hammer, everything’s a nail. Cops only see nails walking around.

13 Likes

White guy.
Cop.
“Resisting arrest” himself, as his coworkers come to his home to drag him away. Then don’t tell his whereabouts to his inquiring family members such as his father, himself a police officer.

This is a tough listen. I suppose I should put in a caution, a trigger warning. The live recording of Adrian Schoolcraft’s arrest as it happened is not for the faint of heart. This is however a damn fine piece of radio journalism.

“Resisting arrest” is one helluva fairly plastic charge. In case y’all need to get up to speed on what the term means in your own home area, here’s a roundup of what is generally means in the U.S. states and a few nations:

May Jah have mercy on our souls… good luck out there, to all of us.

ETA: typos (yeesh)

12 Likes

Now that guy? That’s a fucking good cop.

Its not default that I hate police- I just don’t trust them. Having lived in some fairly dangerous areas, but not being a dangerous person, however, looking like one with a big beard I guess? I’ve never had a good meeting with one. They always act like utter assholes from the get go before I even say anything or they explain anything.

Its authority I hate, and the people that always, always abuse it. And that’s almost every cop Ive met or witnessed. Some good ones- some very kind actually. But most by far have assumed they were impossible to be at fault, and that I had no rights once they stop me.

I know I sound like a loudmouth asshole in this- but I just know my rights, and am sick of cops shitting on them to meet their daily quota.

7 Likes

the soil is pestilential…

1 Like

Denver is growing way too fast for this shit to continue. Your average cop is a decent person here (course, I’m white), but the force is notoriously full of corrupt fucknuggets like this who haven’t gotten the memo that they’re not waving their dicks around a third-rate cow town anymore. You act like this in East Bumfuck, Tennessee, it’s probably business as usual. Blame it on the Californians if you like, but in modern Denver, people are going to take notice.

HIPAA? For fuck’s sake. That’s a federal, civil law pertaining to medical records. It could not be more outside his authority and he knows it. While we are in the neighborhood of medicine and law, if a doctor or lawyer intentionally lied about his area of professional expertise for his own benefit at someone else’s expense, it would be malpractice, and there would be consequences. Where are the consequences?

6 Likes

Are they?

First, as you observe: a cop who appears decent to a white person may behave differently around others.

Second, there’s the complicity factor. A “good cop” who does nothing to restrain the “bad” cops around him is not a good cop.

But thirdly, and most importantly: what if the problem is not the individuals, but the institution of American policing? In that case, the conduct of any single officer is irrelevant; support for the institution is sufficiently unethical in itself. The act of wrongdoing came when they chose to join the force.

There are substantial arguments behind the idea of police abolition, but it is not necessary to subscribe to those arguments to see that American police are severely abnormal in their violence and oppression. This is not a new thing.

What is the moral culpability of the “good” soldier who volunteers for a wrongful war?

12 Likes

Also, the Constitution certainly does supersede an act of Congress, such as HIPAA.

15 Likes

No, they cite HIPAA. Still bullshit, though, however you spell it.

1 Like

Nothing there I disagree with. I guess I mostly meant they’re not all assholes all the time, which probably isn’t especially interesting or germane when we start considering institutional responsibility.

3 Likes

I don’t understand how the Denver police are not held more accountable. After Boulder, Denver is our second most left-leaning city. The votes are there.

2 Likes

From another infamously left-leaning city:

3 Likes

Most Americans consider any soldier that served in any war for any reason (for the Good Guys, of course) to be a hero. Regardless.

AKA militarism.

The Germans and Japanese may have some advice on where that leads.

7 Likes