Actor Burt Reynolds has died at 82. Here are some of our favorite clips from his work

So do you think last night a guy in white robes and a flowing beard came into Tom Selleck’s bedroom, opened a golden box to reveal a mustache and said in a booming voice, “Now you are the protector of the 'stache of power! Use it’s power wisely!”

4 Likes

No, no, no…

It’s actually an elite force of actors, all who have 'staches of power. Sam Elliott has one.

4 Likes

When I was a kid, I named the Hoth Rebel Soldier from that year’s wave of new Star Wars toys “Sharky” because of his resemblence to Burt and the recent release of the movie.

5 Likes

Was going to recommend this, thanks for that. Great movie, based on the William Diehl book.

2 Likes

But definitely NOT Kenneth Brannagh

3 Likes

It often still is standard practice. I have a lot of respect for what professional VAs do. It’s can’t be easy to convincingly carry on only one side of a conversation with a (literal and metaphorical) wall. It’s no wonder an otherwise good actor who isn’t a pro at voice acting can come off sounding very forced or stilted.

1 Like

Everyone has already mentioned the stuff he was well known for, but he was also in a
B-comedy my daughter and I like called Without A Paddle…

5 Likes

So after 35 years or so, I rewatched Smokey and the Bandit and The Longest Yard (free on Amazon Prime).

I feel like Smokey had decent pacing, but the romance felt tenuous at best. I think Longest Yard was better written, sort of like Cool Hand Luke as a comedy. I think I’ll watch Deliverance soon.

6 Likes

Deliverance is disturbing - intentionally so, but well worth watching for the psychological drama. But like other movies of it’s period, the pacing can be slow as well. I think John Voight’s performance shines above Burt’s.

I re-watched Smokey just last week. It was one of my all time favorites as a kid (I still want to be a truck driver because of that movie), but watching it as an adult I find it hard to sit through because it’s so damn cheesy and plot-less. Sally Fields is just annoying.

4 Likes

I think she could have been better if the screenwriters had actually tried to put themselves in a woman’s shoes.

1 Like

You’re saying that movie had screenwriters? Who woulda thunk?

3 Likes

Oddly enough Cindy took over Crissy’s job … I guess that was normal in the 70s.

4 Likes

Chrissy probably recommended Cindy to her boss as a replacement.

“Judging by your resume, you are blonde and easy on the eyes. You’re hired.”

3 Likes

Saw it Friday Night. I forgot that film had that epic famous falling stunt out of the really high window.

http://www.retrontario.com/2013/02/22/that-time-dar-robinson-jumped-off-the-cn-tower-twice/

1 Like

Never saw Smokey as a kid, but as an adult, it’s just really a terrible movie. BUT, it was obvious why he was such a huge star, he just positively oozed confident charm.

2 Likes

hmm. I rather enjoyed Field’s performance. It made for a better film.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.