Actor Donald Sutherland dead at 88

Click through for whole set…

[ETA]

Well… christ… now all I can think about is the Clerks cartoon episode where they reference Sutherland’s appearance in JFK…

8 Likes

OMG That woulda been so great!

2 Likes

(Kinda weird to me to think that men were still wearing hats like that as late as the 1960s.)

4 Likes

Some of us still do, you know?

7 Likes

Yes, I do know. I suppose I should have said “most men.” Or I guess, to avoid further correction, “most U.S. men.” Am I still missing something?

3 Likes

Both characters, despite their agreement on the existence of the alleged conspiracy, are still middle-aged white male members of the American establishment. Guys like that continued to wear hats for years after JFK took them out of style (he did society a great favour – think about what a bother it must have been to feel obliged to wear a hat every day. Put it on, take it off, store it, block it, lose it…).

Back on-topic, that scene is another example of how great Sutherland was. Few other actors could make that clunky expository speech so compelling.

3 Likes

A sexy Canadian, you mean? Sutherland was born in Canada. and made a point of being Canadian.

He did have something noticeable about him. I remember him in a TV version of Hamlet, Hamlet at Elsinore, in which he had the tiny role of Fortinbras.

Look who he was up against:
“The Canadian actor Christopher Plummer took the lead role as Hamlet and earned an Emmy Award nomination for his performance. Also appearing were Robert Shaw as Claudius, Alec Clunes as Polonius, June Tobin as Gertrude, Jo Maxwell Muller as Ophelia and Michael Caine, in his only Shakespearean performance, as Horatio. In supporting roles were Roy Kinnear as the Gravedigger, Steven Berkoff as Lucianus and Donald Sutherland as Fortinbras.”

5 Likes

He was of Scottish descent, and admitted on Inside the Actors’ Studio that he’d’ve rather been Irish, b/c “more romantic.”

3 Likes
2 Likes

Effin’ heck; what a cast :kissing_heart::ok_hand:

There was always something otherworldly about Sutherland; like he was a changeling.

3 Likes

On the need for no more wars…

(2 minutes long)

5 Likes

Talking about the Dalton Trumbo book, Johnny Got His Gun, I believe, originally written in the late 1930s, but not made into a film until the 1970s…

4 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks for that list. I haven’t seen a few of those. Invasion of the Body Snatchers scared the crap out of me. It may have set the mood for the rest of the 70s for me at the very least.

3 Likes

More tributes from his colleagues:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.