RIP: David Soul of "Starsky and Hutch" died yesterday at age 80

Originally published at: RIP: David Soul of "Starsky and Hutch" died yesterday at age 80 - Boing Boing

4 Likes

He was terrific in the 1979 TV miniseries of Salem’s Lot. Still just about the best adaptation of King’s work, imo. James Mason, Lew Ayres, and Elisha Cook, Jr, in it as well. It’s available at a few different streaming services. Well worth the rental. Just make sure you don’t end up with the version that was chopped up for a two-hour time slot.

12 Likes

Yep, whenever I think of him I think of Salem’s Lot. Ooooh, scary kiddies!

9 Likes

The scene with the kid in the window is one of the best horror scenes ever filmed. And James Mason, ffs.

11 Likes

I concur. My son is 10 years old and last year he really wanted to start watching vampire movies. We’ve watched The Last Man on Earth, Near Dark, Daybreakers, Blade, and pretty much all of the non-sparkly vampire movies, and after all of them we both still shiver when we hear something outside and one of us says “I bet that’s Danny Glick at the window!” :wink:

10 Likes

It’s so good.

7 Likes

You can say he’s Hutch until the cows come home, he’ll always be Makora in the TOS episode “The Apple” to me. Sporting the ur-Uncle Baby Billy look.

7 Likes

If you haven’t gotten to it yet, don’t forget Fright Night.

8 Likes

He was great, cast against type, in “In the Line of Duty: The F.B.I. Murders”, a 1980s TV movie. He is part of a solid cast (including Michael Gross and Ronnie Cox).

@Tod_Westlake

10 Likes

Also in Magnum Force as one of the “new breed” of cops:

9 Likes

Yes! Not to mention George Dzundza and Fred Willard in the shotgun scene; simultaneously frightening and hilarious.

5 Likes

I remember him this way:

Being too young/not allowed to watch Starsky and Hutch.

I will be watching Salems lot with the kiddo who likes horror soon though. Thanks for the recommendation

6 Likes

This is the one I remember - I still have it on a cassette somewhere recorded off the radio in… 1976-77

6 Likes

We’ve pretty much watched them all, including the granddaddy…

6 Likes

Herzog’s remake with Klaus Kinski is quite good. And I’m sure you’ve heard about the remake coming out later this year.

The Lost Boys is another enjoyable one from that era.

6 Likes

i quote that movie about as often as i quote Princess Bride. such a great movie! [EDIT: that last shot in the video… i can’t resist yelling “KISS HIM, you fool!”]

6 Likes

This is my favorite from his singing days.

7 Likes

We didn’t watch the KK version, but yep, watched Lost Boys :+1:

3 Likes

It’s quite grim and has some sex stuff that’s probably a bit much for a kid that young. But KK, Isabel Adjani, Bruno Ganz? It’s a good one. One of Herzog’s best, and one of the few times a remake of an iconic film has turned out for the better.

4 Likes

That scene is so damn effective and affecting b/c they ran the film backwards. When well done, as there, it makes all movements seem quite otherworldly.

3 Likes