Actor Donald Sutherland dead at 88

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/20/actor-donald-sutherland-dead-at-88.html

19 Likes

Oh my. Watching him in The Undoing right now! RIP.

12 Likes

RIP.

26 Likes

invasion-body-snatchers-point

:sob:

donald-suther-negative

31 Likes

24 Likes

Just watched “Don’t Look Now” (1973) with Sutherland and Julie Christie. What a trippy movie.

12 Likes
17 Likes

FB_IMG_1718915080866

21 Likes

No-one could play grinning menace like Sutherland could. A true great.

17 Likes

14 Likes

giphy_s

16 Likes

that is my favorite Donald Southerland of all!
woof woof!

14 Likes

The NYTimes obit neglected to mention his key role as the watcher in Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie). Philistines.

16 Likes

RIP to a phenomenal actor.

I was watching the Hunger Games trilogy a few weeks back simply marvelling at his portrayal of such an amazingly repulsive villain in President Snow, yet at the same time he did it in such an understated fashion. The rare villain that quietly shows you just how bad they are versus telling you.

13 Likes

He was invariably fantastic, whatever the role. That voice!

Another sexy Scotsman.

9 Likes

I saw today that circa 1990 he was being considered for a Doctor Who movie. His companion had already been decided. Caroline Munro. And he was quoted by the press saying that The Doctor and his companion would most certainly not have a platonic relationship.
If Donald Sutherland’s TARDIS is rockin’, don’t bother knockin’!

5 Likes

dirty-dozen-never-heard-of-it

11 Likes

Philistine!

8 Likes

Call me a snob if you wish, but I’m really bothered that some sites are headlining “Hunger Games Actor Dies”. Sutherland was in so many brilliant roles in classic movies, yet they’re relegating his entire career to one of the worst franchises in movie history.

9 Likes

Reasonable people can disagree whether or not the Hunger Games series was any good (I happened to love it). What’s hard to disagree with is the fact that it was a high profile role in a very popular and recent series, which is no doubt why it’s given top mention.

Of course, he was in many great films throughout his long and storied career.

10 Likes