Actual questions from my Green Card questionnaire

The last time I entered the US (and it was a long time ago) the immigration question that cracked me up the most was the enquiry as to whether I had ever engaged in “acts of moral turpitude”.

Did they take that one off after the CIA and NSA went nuts and rendered it meaningless? Or does moral turpitude not make an applicant ineligible for a Green Card?

5 Likes

If you don’t have one of these forms, a bunch of Russian Oligarchs and ex-CCP members will push into your country and drive real estate prices sky high.

6 Likes

Of course I have assisted in genocide, torture, and extrajudicial killings! I was born a citizen of the US!

24 Likes

I seem to remember that on the UK security clearance questionnaire there’s a question about whether you’d ever attempted to overthrow the government.

I wondered if voting against them counted.

6 Likes

What does moral turpitude even mean?

By several popular measures of morality, the fact that I even exist at all is an abomination and an affront to morality.

Subjective bullshit questions… For every “act of moral turpitude” an applicant may have done, you could probably point to a few equally repulsive acts the government has done and not yet apologized for. The government shouldn’t act like it’s a judge of character. It’s embarrassing and unbecoming.

…Yeesh. “moral turpitude” Like that document wasn’t written in 1956 and hasn’t been properly re-done ever since.

3 Likes

Have you ever voted in the United States in violation of any law or regulation?

If there are any people out there who care enough about America to risk prison time just to vote in our elections then those are exactly the people we should be letting in.

11 Likes

WTF. Well…at least these questions screen out the Genocidal Polygamists raising Child Armies!

If Trump gets in, we’ll have to add:
Are you a rapist?

3 Likes

Zappa wrote a piece for the Ensemble Modern based on this form.

6 Likes

No, that is correct. It used to say main or a lessor, but the bloody PC-Police made us change it to main or a woman.

Gotta go…

12 Likes

Well @doctorow . ARE YOU coming to the united states to practice polygamy? Huh? ARE YOU @doctorow? It’s a simple question. Are you moved by the original spirit of Joseph Smith’s message of plural marriage?

9 Likes

Everyone knows in 'merica multiple marriages need to be serial not parallel.

14 Likes

I dunno… from what I remember of Big Love, the second wife was the hardest:

Every time I think about that show, the Beach Boys song gets stuck in my head.

4 Likes

As my wife said without a trace of irony, “No, not yet!”

2 Likes

Did it hurt to type that?

1 Like

I can only imagine:

3 Likes

I think those are inadmissibility grounds.

As I’m deported…

6 Likes

6 Likes

Why would you even expect that?

That’s a serious question.

The “or other acts of violence” part of that seems extremely broad too. Who hasn’t commited some act of violence, given that they haven’t quantified that and little kids are often violent? Then you answer honestly because you slapped someone once and suddenly you look like an international assassin…