Actually, Solo is good

I certainly hope so. Otherwise those silent moments in front of the troops can get pretty awkward.

8 Likes

I’ve read a few comics and some books from the old & new EU and they simply come off as Star Wars, Last Jedi just takes me out of it throughout the movie, I found myself going " that’s American, that’s gun violence, that’s the 1%, that’s the Kentucky derby, that’s them trying to be funny, that’s Buddism " this world completely leaked into Last Jedi rather then glazed, it’s just the writting, they could included all of that stuff just not the way they did it, best example of how political issues were brought up without compromising the mood was Batman: White Knight, that had police brutality, BLM, the 1%, opioids, corrupt governing, all current stuff but it feels like it belongs there

1 Like

I wonder if he’ll bring Snoke back somehow, Force Ghost. . . .I hope Phasma made it out :disappointed:

2 Likes

Although it was presumably meant as irony, it is somewhat disturbing that young Lando is presented as a promoter of droid’s rights and is against mining colonies but as we know from Empire ends up running a mining colony and cares so little for droids that we see he melts down damaged ones (as almost happens with C3PO).

1 Like

Well, it has been canonically established that getting sliced in half with a lightsaber isn’t necessarily fatal…

3 Likes

OH MY GOD that’s a disturbing image…

1 Like

I really liked it.

Especially after all the trailers made Alden Ehrenreich look so terrible in the role!

I thought his performance and the dialogue portrayed a young Han Solo very well.

There were a few things I thought were dumb, but I’m not the one they trusted with all that money to make a Star Wars movie, so I can’t complain too much.

2 Likes

Or… The other way a dog cleans himself… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Phasma is the only “dead” Star Wars character I REALLY hope they bring back because she STILL hasn’t been used in a good way and I want to see that happen!

1 Like

For another point of view, I hardly like anything about Rogue One at all and I REALLY enjoyed Solo.

I also don’t agree that it’s too long. There’s nothing I feel could have been cut short so it’s the right length for what it is.

Also, while it does have some dark shots, I never even thought about it until I read people’s complaints. Yeah, some shots are dark because it’s, you know… dark. It’s not like there are minute long shots where you can’t see anything.

I have maybe four or five things I could point out that I didn’t like, but nothing major, just nitpicks.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it was tweaked to have a bit more of a major key feel (although I don’t think they simply changed it to a major key). Googling suggests they’ve used something similar in the Rebels series as the “Imperial Anthem”:

1 Like

Lol my younger sister asked how he made it out and we watched his story arch from the Clone Wars that later combines with the Mandolorian Duchess arch (which I’m still trying to figure out how the Mandolorians ended up with a monarchy) and it explained pretty well how he ended up as a crime lord, it was George’s daughter that wrote his ressurection and I’m really glad she did

2 Likes

I know it sucked how she barely did anything, I read her 4 part comic series leading into VIII and I wanted more out of her character, I get Vader used the Force to tame the flames but Phasma only had her eye exposed, hopefully that’s enough to justify she made it out, I imagine that suit is fire proof >_>

2 Likes

He looks a hell of alot more like a younger Harrison Ford than Adam Driver does as the spawn of Ford and Fisher.

4 Likes

But here is the beauty of that. There was so much BAAAAD EU stuff. And alot of conflicting stuff. The EU was a colossal mess. Disney did the smartest thing putting it all to “legend” status and then mining what was best to use in the future. The fact that Solo was chock full of EU and random character stuff was this walking-wookiepedia nerds greatest dream.

2 Likes

I wish there was a sure fire way of blocking all Star Wars references from all my feeds.

Star Wars is the Khmer Rouge of American Pop Culture.

I guess we agree to disagree then.

1 Like

Did you see blade runner 2049?
Pop movies have always kind of sucked, but there are always gems to be found!

3 Likes

So what do you miss from the EU that is now gone?

Remember that sixth time they blew up one of the Empire’s secret planet-destroying superweapons? That was classic.

2 Likes