Adam Savage explains an object that shouldn't exist but does (video)

Originally published at: Adam Savage explains an object that shouldn't exist but does (video) | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Hi Jamie.

5 Likes

Then don’t, but why be rude about it?

8 Likes

That was great fun to watch. Thank you for posting it!
From the wikipedia page we find this link which allows us to rotate and scale on our (2d) screen this 4d object immersed into 3d (whee… it even has inertia)

3 Likes

The way he’s waving that delicate thing around… I’m just cringing while waiting for it to slip out of his hand and come crashing down onto the bench!

After watching Adam drop the glass inverted sphere, the next video I watched was of him handling Isaac Newton’s death mask where one can hear the curator’s butt clinch as he fetched the mask out of Adams hands before he could bang it on more stuff.

I kind of like his behavior. Adam is in love with the objects he is fortunate enough to be around but his behavior also reminds me the objects are just objects. The mask is both historically priceless and worthless plaster.

4 Likes

7 Likes

I skipped much of the manufacturing process, as it seemed to be pretty ordinary “let’s turn this bit on the lathe” stuff.

But be sure to watch about the last 9-10 minutes. Cliff’s excited reaction at the end sparked pure joy. Plus, he did a much better job of explaining the Boy’s surface than Adam did. (Immersion, not inversion, which makes a whole lot more sense.)

3 Likes

Of course, the real joke there is not the Venn diagram, it’s the concept of an inflatable Klein bottle.

13 Likes

I am impressed by the shape but left underwhelmed by the display. Glass object under a reflective glass dome doesn’t seem the best solution, a stuffed owl or a model of the reproductive cycle of a bee, stuck on a dusty shelf possibly.

2 Likes

It’d be easier to keep clean that way; I’d rather wipe down (or hose down) a dome instead of dealing with the corners and intersections on the object itself where dust would collect and be difficult to remove.

1 Like

There are options to not use a dome shaped cover, a column with a top reflecting the base; a cube of non-reflective glass etc., etc.

The dome reflects and distorts (and makes the object look like a glass turd squatting at the bottom).

“…stable state” AAAAAAAUGH!

I literally tried to grab it through the screen.

He first tried to mount it in a brass circle kinda like how they mount globes but it wouldn’t hold (without being glued permanently). The solution may not be perfect but as he explained in the video the intention was something that would allow it to be easily removed and held… because holding and turning it is the only real way to appreciate the form… it’s such a weird shape he really seemed to struggle to figure out a mount for it…

1 Like

I did watch the video, I do not think the result was worth the effort or presented the object in an effective way.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.