Adhesive nose bridge strips for DIY face masks help keep my glasses clear

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/09/adhesive-nose-bridge-strips-fo.html

4 Likes

These look like a nice way to salvage some masks. Nose bridge metal is essential in cloth and non-woven mesh masks for fit.

Sigh, I miss N95s. It seems ridiculous that an industrialized country with of hundreds of millions of people can’t gear up to make enough of them to save hundreds of thousands of lives. We should be using World War level effort and urgency to produce PPE because World War numbers of people are dying. :-/

8 Likes

Beware of unintended side effects.

(RIP Carl)

18 Likes

The stupidity of the entity known as the US Federal Government is without measure.

9 Likes

Bonus tip: shaving cream smeared on lenses then rinsed gently leaves a layer of anti-fog coating, reducing fogging for a few hours. The A/B test if dose one lens is pretty impressive.

6 Likes

Dipping them into dilute Fairy Liquid or other dish detergent and letting them drip dry also does this.

6 Likes

I use a Kleenex folded up and placed in the same spot. It is what they do in Korea and Japan, evidently. The only down side is on a secure N95, it presses down on your nose a bit.

PS - nice mask!

4 Likes

THANK YOU!!!

My whole glasses wearing family thanks you.

6 Likes

Came to say the same thing. Learnt this trick from motorcyclists who wore glasses under full face helmet. Although, they used to take a spot of undiluted Fairy Liquid and smear it on lenses and polish lenses with it till lenses were clear again.

4 Likes

For my masks, I sew in a narrow loop of fabric that I run a doubled over pipe cleaner through. Of course we have pipe cleaners around for crafts, because kids.

7 Likes

I saw a tip but have not tried it: tape the mask to your face along the top border.

3 Likes

Thank you!
I seem to be gathering a plethora of face coverings. And this is my biggest complaint.
Cheers!

2 Likes

Bad leadership. At least some of the rank and file do a good job with the resources they have (which have been gutted over the years, with the exception of the military and corporate handout programs). At least from my experience at the FDA.

9 Likes

Yeah, if your glasses are fogging, then the mask isn’t fitting right (and may not be doing enough to protect you and/or others).

2 Likes

You have a bad link with double HTTPs

3 Likes

“Damn these glasses!”

3 Likes

“I damn thee!”

4 Likes

I’ve cut some strips from a soda can. I managed to adapt It to my masks. Now I don’t have to deal with foggy glasses due to a leaky mask.

5 Likes

That’s the side effect of those heavy sewn masks. Work gave us some heavy reusable masks, and I can’t breathe in those - very warm, very humid, and they pinch off my nose a little. The cheap disposable ones are better all around, though less stylish.

1 Like

Not to derail the post, but I’ve had fantastic results with the steel bridge strips from Advanced Manufacturing Enterprise. While the stick on aspect of the article product is nice, for anyone that can sew a button, I’d recommend these as they’re heavy enough to hold a tight bend all day and wash up fantastically. I’ve ordered twice from them. The cost is low, there are types for rectangular and fitted face masks, and they sell filters, very soft elastic, and other mask making supplies. B

5 Likes