Adidas starts selling Kanye West's Yeezys after anti-Semitic fallout

Originally published at: Adidas starts selling Kanye West's Yeezys after anti-Semitic fallout | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Will this matter, will anyone want to buy them?

Will I still care 5 minutes from now?

6 Likes

“A portion of profits”. Yah, right. If they cared about anything other than how to monetize this inventory they got stuck with, they’d donate all the profits. Instead, some MBAs sat in a room and calculated how long to wait for the public attention on this to die down, then what kind of phony gesture would be required to soothe anyone who still remembers to be mad about this.

25 Likes

Thank goodness we have visionary leaders like Bjørn Gulden providing solutions that ensure the shoes are respected.

7 Likes

Adidas, “We will donate a potion of our profits to combatting antisemitism.”
Ye, “I won’t. Thanks for the money, Adidas.”

13 Likes

Does anyone care about Kanye anymore? Does he make records? Do his records sell? Is there any market for a supposed hip hop genius who admires Donald Trump and Adolf Hitler? Does Adidas really think there are enough Nazis out there to buy West’s shoes and pull them into solvency?

Maybe if they added some extra thoughts and prayers on top of the 1%?

2 Likes

Both Adidas and Kanye can fuck all the way off.

14 Likes

You’d think Adidas, of all companies, would worry about being associated with Nazi ideology, again.

And Mark says he swaps 1%, but that would actually be more than a lot of companies do for charity. I’m guessing they cut checks for like… $5k to each of the nonprofits mentioned.

6 Likes

“Antisemitism is profitable.”
~Bjørn Gulden probably

3 Likes

Good luck finding any buyers. Those are some seriously ugly shoes!

They could wear those fugly shoes for the journey.

8 Likes

(Whenever I read “a portion of the profits” I mentally swap it with “one percent.”)

Chicago Fire GIF by Wolf Entertainment

9 Likes

:musical_note: Aaaallll day I dream about…making a financial profit from a disastrous situation. :musical_note:

6 Likes

ugly footwear trends have moved on…

6 Likes

Am I going to have to tell the parable of the frog and the scorpion again?

3 Likes

More background for those who aren’t aware of the history.

Gulden is counting on the confluence of the general public’s ignorance, short attention span, and ability to be misdirected by empty gestures. I hope no-one buys these Nazi shoes and that the company has to eat them.

4 Likes

One further problem is how companies and their marketing teams classify “ethical” – purely based in the idea of reducing pollution and waste, but seemingly no interest in history and the human rights abuses of today (sweatshops and slavery). :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’m offended by the principle of this, and I’m also offended by how absolutely butt ugly these shoes are. How someone ever looked at some of these designs and green lit them for production is just so unbelievable to me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.