As Nazis march in support of Kanye West's antisemitism, Adidas has no plans to drop the sponsorship funding it

Originally published at: As Nazis march in support of Kanye West's antisemitism, Adidas has no plans to drop the sponsorship funding it | Boing Boing

9 Likes

isn’t it weird (especially considering their corporate history) that they’ve basically said…nothing??

16 Likes

It’s beyond weird, it’s repugnant.

17 Likes

If we’re talking about fashion, this is definitely not a good look for a German company (as I assume the majority of Germans would agree).

12 Likes

Hard to believe that a company founded by (and still populated by) Nazis would support this kind of thing.
Oh, wait.

14 Likes

Naturally I haven’t seen the contract between Adidas and West, but it’s normal for that kind of contract to have some kind of escape clause if the celebrity does something to bring the brand into disrepute.

West might sue. I’d love him to make the argument in court that explicitly anti-semitic statements don’t bring the brand into disrepute.

15 Likes

And today I learned about Adidas’ company history. And I’m sure millions more are also learning about their history for the first time thanks to this Ye-generated controversy. (The very name of the company starts with an “Adolf” abbreviation and the owners were Nazi party members who used forced labor to build weapons for the Nazis? Damn.) Hard to believe that breaking their contract could possibly be more damaging to the company than remaining silent.

14 Likes

Adidas filled their corp. pockets full of that Nazi-Kanye gold, now they are going to drown in it. Adios Nazi aholes.

11 Likes

They’re a good match.

14 Likes

15 Likes

So they need to change the song to Not my Adidas…

8 Likes

Also hard to believe they’d enter into a celebrity endorsement contract without including some kind of morality clause. I’m pretty sure Nike would be able to cut Michael Jordan loose if he started spouting Nazi propaganda.

14 Likes

Goddamn it, Adidas.

I don’t for one moment think that ‘they have no choice’ and “can’t” drop this asshole.

16 Likes

It seems like Adidas are either hoping to wait it out and it gets memory holed or ending the brand deal is complicated and don’t want to act until they are certain of the cheapest way out. I do buy their shoes and athletic wear but will look elsewhere if they don’t sever ties with this man.

5 Likes

MRC, the production company behind successful films and TV shows including Knives Out and House of Cards, recently completed a whole documentary on Kanye West. As of today they announced they’re pulling the plug on distribution because it’s critical that they don’t help amplify Kanye’s voice. A decision that is doubtlessly going to cost them many millions of dollars but it’s the right thing to do.

Step up your game, Adidas.

24 Likes

They also wrote Kevin Spacey out of House of Cards when those accusations of sexual abuse came out, which was no small thing since he was the main character. Come to think of it, when Spacey was edited out of All the Money in the World he was replaced by Christopher Plummer, who starred in Knives Out, so maybe Plummer was the go-to guy that companies used when they wanted to avoid problematic actors. Too bad it’s a little late to edit Plummer in to replace of West in this documentary.

10 Likes

Plummer does have a better voice…

20 Likes

Well he certainly did have a great singing voice, as well as that anti-Nazi cred, but given that he passed on in February of last year it really does seem like we missed our chance.

8 Likes

I gave this a like, but it’s not enough.
Here’s another one.

:heart:

6 Likes

To be fair, the name Adolf didn’t have any nazi connotations at the time the company was started.

4 Likes