As Nazis march in support of Kanye West's antisemitism, Adidas has no plans to drop the sponsorship funding it

It was my great-grandmother’s maiden-name.
She only changed it to Derek after the war.

5 Likes

Yeah, but that Adolf willfully became an early Nazi party member in 1933 and put his factory to work for the Wehrmacht so I’m not cutting him any slack.

7 Likes

Yeah, but he changed the name to Adidas after the war (in 1949) when the name Adolf certainly evoked nazi connotations

6 Likes

Well then, fuck Puma too.

TIL.

8 Likes
17 Likes

About time. At least we got a lesson about the company’s history in the bargain.

8 Likes

I’m guessing they were waiting for the lawyers and financial people to figure out how to break the contract with the minimum of losses. There were billions of dollars on the line; 10% of the company’s revenue, and they probably thought they had to create a plan to salvage what they could.

So not one milligram of empathy; nothing but “what about the money?”

During this months-long delay, how many customers did they lose forever? At this point the only value they should have remaining is their corporate head on a pike, as a warning to any other businesses that think it appropriate to tolerate these neo-nazis for even a minute.

Large corporations have disaster plans for all kinds of events: fires or hurricanes destroying the corporate headquarters, computer systems being breached and ransomed, etc. If they want to take a month to figure out how to respond to their public figurehead going full-on racist, the time to make that plan is before their public figureheads open their stupid mouths.

5 Likes

The shareholders would have had the CEO’s head on a pike if he hadn’t done anything to minimise the losses. If Ye’s lawyers were smart they would have negotiated substantial penalty payments for contract termination that would kick in even if Adidas invoked the morality clause against him.

2 Likes

Sad Samantha Bee GIF

5 Likes

The shareholders will still have the CEO’s head on a pike for bungling things in terms of finance, marketing, and the initial contract. It was a no-win situation for executive management in those stunted terms, which means the only victory left possible was the moral one associated with cutting their losses early. That no-one in the head office grabbed at it says a lot about the MBA mentality present there and in other executive suites in the West.

4 Likes

Well you have to balance those losses against the brand loyalty they built among fascists. /s

6 Likes

I though that fascists had their own brand.

1 Like

They have a few they like, not that the brands all lean into it like Thor Steinar does.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.