Adobe walks into Gamergate, staggers around confusedly

Wait, what? There’s a manly game culture? When did that happen?

2 Likes

I imagine Adobe doesn’t even give a damn, they are just desperately looking for the path of least controversy that gets them away from the problem most quickly.

And, honestly, it’s pretty hard to blame them unless their endorsement of one side or the other was notably cushier than so far reported. I’m all for punishing people who double down on their support for some unworthy cause once it flares up; but it seems polite to let clueless noncombatants have some time to get clear of messes they know little about.

4 Likes

I’m reminded how the creators of Duke Nukem Forever were apparently oblivious to the fact that Duke Nukem 3D was a satire of 80s action movies.

8 Likes

Speaking of which, Intel seems to have done surprisingly well with its “we apologize but we’re still withdrawing our advertising” stance.

Like, I’m still pissed off at them, but I haven’t heard much about it since a day or two after it went down. I suppose Adobe is hoping for the same

1 Like

To paraphrase The Hobbit: DONGS OR NOTHING

##BUT MOSTLY WE TALK ABOUT DONGS

There’s also

1. Aspect Ratios
  2. Spoilers

And these are all threads that I started my own solo self. You can do it to!

[quote=“OtherMichael, post:29, topic:43490”]BUT MOSTLY WE TALK ABOUT DONGS[/quote]That isn’t how we got here in the first place?

I didn’t expect to encounter this familiar flavor of strife until I got home to my young children. I’ll say the same thing to you that I’d say to them:

I know you’re still upset with your sister about the last time, but please stop trying to pick a fight. Everybody’s got stuff they’re dealing with, and I’d really prefer if you didn’t intentionally escalate.

Why would any firm spend tens of millions of dollars on a game if they couldn’t advertse it?

how much does it cost to make a big video game

You’re right.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Why would any firm spend tens of millions of dollars on a game if they couldn’t advertse it?

how much does it cost to make a big video game

on the precipice of an epiphany, @jerwin!

I like the idea of that, but honestly it’s the first time I’ve ever heard it suggested. There was some very weak satire of the “I just said a catchphrase you know! Remember that one, huh? Huh?” sort, but most of it seemed to sincerely be typical mid-'90s EDGY/XTREEM.

It’s pretty straight.

The problem is your are getting your news directly from a source that Gamergate is calling out. So you are blindly ingesting misinformation.

It is not a hate movement. It is not only white males. I myself am a minority of mixed race.

It is a movement against corruption and ethics in gaming journalism and media that consists of white males, white females, minority males, and minority females.

“While various existing codes have some differences, most share common elements including the principles of—truthfulness, accuracy, objectivity, impartiality, fairness and public accountability”

I point out to you objectivity, truthfulness, and impartiality. When websites consistently spew a narrative, a political agenda, in nearly every article they write, all three of these items of journalistic ethics are thrown out the window. Yes, it is somewhat a backlash and against left leaning politics, only because these politics are being injected and forced in, without any allowance for questioning of these ideals.

Secondly, the backlash is against people like Anita Sarkeesian for example. She makes claims that have no academic standing or any type of viable evidence that are true. Quite similar to the claims about violence in video games causing people to commit murder. People DO NOT HATE HER BECAUSE SHE IS A WOMAN, but hate her and criticize her for being a LIAR and a con artist. But it is much easier to claim misogyny and sexism than to actual respond to your critics with evidence.

By the way, the people of Gamergate stopped talking about Zoe Quinn months ago. Not sure why all of you keep bringing her up. We do not care about her.

2 Likes

am i just imaging things, or are you the same person who keeps creating new accounts to post virtually the same statements on every new boing boing gamer gate thread?

5 Likes

First time posting here mate, is it weird I echoed the same sentiments someone else did? Maybe we have the same mission that all of Gawker media bastardizes into something it’s not to try and dismiss? Yet is failing miserably as advertiser by advertiser sees the hypocrisy and walks away?

Maybe you’re all just sock puppets. That seems much more likely.

4 Likes

More sock-puppets here than at a Mick Foley meet-and-greet.

3 Likes

Dismissing us is much easier than engagement. Anita does it all the time.

Sure, achieving positive change via silence has always worked!

1 Like

6 Likes