Adorable ducklings learn to jump by copying mom

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/22/adorable-ducklings-learn-to-ju.html

3 Likes

“So, if our friend jumps off a cliff, we’re not supposed to follow them, but if our mother jumps off a cliff, we are supposed to follow her? Life is so full of confusing rules!”

7 Likes

Was just reading some McCloskey to the little duckling last night!

7 Likes

As the mother flew out of frame I thought to myself, if EVER a video needed proper landscape orientation THIS WAS FUCKING IT !!!

(insert facepalm gif)

5 Likes

The last one off the dock throws in a back flip, so this is def the video of the day for me!

2 Likes

A leaf blower would have been appropriate here.

1 Like

Wood ducks nest in holes a ways up in trees and when the eggs hatch the mother flies to the ground and calls the ducklings. Fortunately they’re so light that when they jump they bounce a bit, but usually land okay, especially if there’s leaf litter to further break their fall. I don’t know if being agreeable to leapy stunts is entirely due to imprinting?

1 Like

For all the terrible things out there in the world today, I needed this. Wonderful indeed, thank you!

1 Like

It’s depressing to think that only one or two (or none) will survive to adulthood. Enjoy these times while they last, sweet ducklings.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.