Adorable new octopus species discovered in "uninhabitable" deep-sea nursery

Originally published at: Adorable new octopus species discovered in "uninhabitable" deep-sea nursery | Boing Boing

7 Likes

:notes: I’d like to be,
Under the Sea,
In an octopuses garden,
With you. :notes:

16 Likes

“Tentacles…why’d it have to be tentacles?”
  – Indiana Davy Jones.

13 Likes

“cold hydrothermal vent”

Uhh… that sure seems like an oxymoron. Google is being useless, so I can’t tell if this is like an inactive volcano (in that it used to be a hydrothermal vent, but isn’t, anymore) or it’s a hydrothermal vent that has a lower-than-usual temperature (but is still warm), or… something else entirely.

6 Likes

It is like a cold-dry-hydrothermal vent; only wetter.

9 Likes

i, for one, welcome our octopodian overlords!

octopuses are cool! (especially when brought up in “cold hydrothermal vents” very deep in the ocean.)

5 Likes

As the embedded video covers:

The vents are extinct volcanos. They are likely formed when new ocean crust is made and that happens primarily at mid-ocean ridges… They move away from the ridge as they age and get a little bit cooler.
…they allow water to go in one place, heat up in the Earth’s crust, and come out warmed in another place.

4 Likes

FTFY.

is it ■■■■■?

1 Like

Sopping.

3 Likes

I’m just wondering why the scientists thought that many octopuses would gather together to lay in an unsustainable area.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.