ADT would appreciate if you agree never to criticize it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/04/adt-would-appreciate-if-you-ag.html

10 Likes

Really?

I’d appreciate it if ADT’s legal council used a dental dam when they kiss my ass.

29 Likes

We hope that you continue to be a part of the #ADTfamily

So that’s what smarmy means? I was never entirely sure.

13 Likes

giphy

24 Likes

Just because you aren’t as hip as ADT is no reason to disparage them in violation of their terms of service!

5 Likes

WHAT!! I’ll have you know I am the very definition of “more hip than a burglar alarm!”

14 Likes

I second that.

1 Like

Why would anyone pay for ADT month after month for years, when for a one time you can hook The Clapper™ up to a stereo to play scary ghost music and buy a badass revolver in case that doesn’t scare the robbers off?

2 Likes

When the corporate bots someday control everything we’ll resort to Strangers-On-A-Train-esque means of exacting our vengefully critical online postings about ADT’s crappy personal defense systems.

4 Likes

Linking, even “internal linking” only tells the prospective user where to ASK for a page. The linkee is free to provide or not provide the requested information. Linking needs no permission from the linked. It violates no copyright* because the “copy” is provided by the linkee.

*of course if the person with the server providing the copy is NOT authorized by the copyright owner to do so, there may well be copyright infringement, but it is not the linkee providing the copy.

2 Likes

Streisand Effect in action.

12 Likes

Is anyone else left wondering(in a totally non-disparaging, purely inquisitive, sort of way, of course) exactly what would inspire a company to do this?

Newly hired certified jerkass in Legal? Trying to get ahead of some painfully sketchy subscription billing scam? Embarrassing report of vulnerability in poorly thought out hardware?

This just seems like the sort of decision where anyone who makes it purely of their own volition is a terrible person and anyone who allows him to is complicit; and anyone who feels pressed by circumstance to do so has something unpleasant to hide; absolutely no innocent explanations on the board, period. If it were any more direct, ADP would be disparaging themselves by adding such a clause.

12 Likes

There’s no reason to do this, and lots of reasons not too. For instance, take a look at every single time some company on Yelp has gotten all pissy over people giving negative reviews.

Crying over this shit can only lead to your own destruction. You have to be stupid or evil to ever think it might possibly work.

8 Likes

I dunno. You didn’t even use one hash tag.

3 Likes

ADT is a shitty company

https://www.adt.com/

Just gonna leave this here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ADT-SECURITY-YARD-SIGN-AND-4-FREE-STICKERS-WATERPROOF-23-99/253295010816?hash=item3af98f2400:g:0mgAAOSw63FaJeT6

Just $24, and no binding arbitration clause. Likely, near as matters, as effective.

9 Likes

4 Likes

So, if I say that the website, including the non-disparaging clause, is “spot-on”, is that a form of disparaging in itself?

(is this some new type of paradox example?)

Well that’s a shame, because I feel pretty inclined to disparage them about the time one of their salesmen told me I could cancel my contract with no penalty if I ended up moving overseas and then ADT told me that wasn’t true after I actually did so.

6 Likes

To be fair, @LDoBe didn’t say “stupid XOR evil”.

5 Likes