Advanced tie-dyeing: adding Sally from "Nightmare Before Christmas"

Originally published at: Advanced tie-dyeing: adding Sally from "Nightmare Before Christmas" | Boing Boing

8 Likes

I was wondering from the thumbnail how the picture could possibly translate to the final pattern, and then I was like “…oh”.

But it is an interesting idea for coming up with colorways (which is often the hard part), and the video gets credit for being concise.

7 Likes

That sounds like a delightful rabbit hole to fall down.
I’ve been checking out a lot of silk painting videos and trying it out myself. Now I want to try to do some tie-dye-style silk painting…

6 Likes

Try some arashi shibori (pole wrapping). It’s hard on the back, but not otherwise difficult, and yields some astonishing results. Traditionally, Japanese artisans would remove the pleating to reveal the surface pattern of the dyes, but Western textile artists have experimented with leaving in the pleating for sculptural effects.

And ColorHue dyes are a very easy option for animal fibres like silk and wool, which don’t require setting times or mordants (fixatives)
Top image by Lois Wakeman

11 Likes

Cool, thanks for the lead! I’d never heard of that before.

3 Likes

You’re welcome! All you need is some pvc pipe, or even a wine bottle will do to wrap the cloth around.If you wrap it diagonally, you get the points on the edges.

3 Likes

Thanks for the mention, I am linked simply as this guy. The spiral drawing technique results in nothing special 99% of the time and in my opinion within the community of other dyers is considered a clickbait technique. Drawing the image my take some effort, but not much more than drawing on paper and it basically gets randomly distorted and all work is for nothing.

6 Likes

I wonder if you drew realistic faces in the setup, and then when it unfurled into apparent randomness to the human eye, would it somehow baffle facial recognition software? I don’t really expect it to, but it’d be a fun plot device.

Nice work. Your Solar Surface could pass for cells under a microscope. Possibly bone in some stages of development, or cross section of plant tissue. Login • Instagram

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.