After airlines stop serving warm nuts, a Texas supplier is stuck with 87,000 lb of them

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/03/after-airlines-stop-serving-wa.html

3 Likes

25 Likes

There is nothing like a handful of warm nuts.

I’m so sorry, I couldn’t stop myself.

11 Likes

They route you to their retail store (greatnuts.com).

With the largest bag, it comes to about $0.40/oz versus, $0.53/oz for Planters mixed nuts on Amazon. Not bad.

7 Likes

There’s a nut processing facility a few blocks from my house. It’s mainly a wholesale business but they do have an outlet store at the factory. Since working from home means I can get there when they’re open, I’ve done that. They’ve also expanded their online direct sales. More than a few wholesalers are doing that, for the obvious reasons. The only problem is that they haven’t quite adapted to selling non-industrial quantities.

9 Likes

tenor

7 Likes

Well, the first thing they should do is stop paying to keep the nuts warm.

19 Likes

Hm, looking at their almonds a 1lb order is 7.99 meanwhile in Amazon i can get 2lbs for $12.33 so at least for me it’d be cheaper to go with Amazon for that particular nut.

2 Likes

that’s completely nuts …

3 Likes

access to nuts

3 Likes

Wait, they were still giving people nuts on airlines when the pandemic hit? My understanding was that all the airlines stopped serving them due to allergy concerns. Every nut I’ve been on since I hit adulthood either had no free snack or gave you a small pack of cookies.

4 Likes

But with Amazon your nuts wouldn’t be warm. You’d have to pay someone to do that.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Yes, I thought from the headline this was about allergies.

And I immediately wondered if the nuts were still edible after what seemed like a few years in storage (I don’t know about their long term storage).

I was once in a store that sold very nice cashews (dry roasted and not overly salted, I think they ground the salt). And they were throwing out a very large bag of cashews, about half my size it seemed. “Past its due date”.

I was so tempted to go back after closing to see if their dumpster was accessible.

A near infinite bag of good cashews, probably a bit dangerous, either I’d get sick from eating too many too fast, or I’d never want to eat cashews again.

1 Like

“42 access tons of cashews, pistachios, pecans, and almonds” – I’m pretty sure you meant “42 excess tons of cashews, pistachios, pecans, and almonds”. Just curious - did you use speech-to-text in some form for the post?

2 Likes

Warmed nuts must be a first class thing, the airline always leaves mine cold.

1 Like

You wouldn’t trust this guy to keep your nuts warm?

1 Like

The last time I flew coach it was so crowded that I warmed my nuts on the neck of the woman in front of me.

6 Likes

I never even knew warm nuts existed until I got bumped to international business class. Warm almonds are meh, but warm cashews are damn good!

Learned the joy of Bailey’s on vanilla ice cream too, on that trip. All sorts of perks in international business (laying down is #1 on the list). But not worth paying several thousand dollars more for. If our ancestors could survive crossing the ocean for weeks in a boat (some less voluntary than others), I can sit in coach for 15 hours with only softdrinks, AC, and working plumbing. Save my money and buy all the Bailey’s, ice cream, and microwaved nuts I want later.

4 Likes

They’re cheaper at Trader Joe’s.

1 Like