After Disney humiliation, Florida governor DeSantis's revenge plan is to toll roads going into Disneyworld

The libs now be pwned! All Hail Meatball Ron!!! /s

11 Likes

Disney employees as a significant voting block is debatable but people who profit from the traffic going to and from Disney are. People whom DiSantis raised their property taxes by 25%.

Unfortunately in the statewide scheme of things, the area is solid “Blue” to begin with. However, Disney being the world’s largest entertainment company certainly knows how to run a PR campaign against someone.

16 Likes

Also like Trump: Saying things - performatively and loudly on record - that turn personal vendettas from something stealthy enough to be deemed “legal” (Chris Christie / Bridgegate) into something legally actionable, because you make it obvious your intentions are to punish a specific target. But I guess the performance is the whole point, and the tax-payer funded legal fight just prolongs the “battle mode” that Republicans seem to need to constantly be in…

17 Likes

One tactic that DeSantis could try would be to keep the toll on personal vehicles low – so the tourists wouldn’t notice – but make it sky-high on commercial vehicles, so that bringing in all the food and fuel and other supplies that Disney needs will start to gnaw into their bottom line. Tolls based on vehicle size probably wouldn’t work, given that the average American family SUV is now about the size of an 18-wheeler, but the private/commercial distinction would give him a more targeted economic attack.

It’s sort of astonishing – by which I mean not astonishing at all – that the people who claim to be all about liberty and small government and all the rest of it are utterly unfazed by any of this. DeSantis is exercising his executive power by fiat to carry on a personal vendetta with a business that he disagrees with on ideological grounds (or perhaps performative grounds, given that DeSantis’s anti-gay stance and Disney’s pro-gay stance are probably both expedient performances). This is the pure distilled essence of dictatorship, and ought to be a clear warning about the way he intends to govern should he get elected president. And the same is true of all the other high-handed and anti-democratic actions that are now officially the stock-in-trade of the Republican Party. They are the exact things that people who style themselves as freedom-loving patriots ought to be up in arms about – and if those things were being done to them and the causes they care about, they would be, quite literally. But so long as their designated enemies are the ones getting hurt, they’re not merely accepting but enthusiastic.

Which is stupid, because the one thing we know from history is that once leopards have a taste for faces, they don’t care whose faces they eat, and sooner or later they’ll come for yours. In DeSantis’s case, I’m guessing it’ll be sooner. After all, the biggest threats to an aspiring autocrat come from within, and if he can’t co-opt Trump’s supporters to his own cause, he’ll need to deal with them. And the leopards don’t care; their guiding principle is “AFAD – All Faces Are Delicious”.

25 Likes

I dunno - this is home of the $10 hotdog… Their profits on food etc is very high.

7 Likes

I know of lots of people who moved to Orlando just to be near Disney. I wonder how many of them will be voting for Desantis next go-round?

6 Likes

That would add another high profile enemy with a lot of money to spend on PR, The Teamsters Union. Probably also the companies who supply Disney as well.

18 Likes

It seems Richard Jr is not the only petty person in FLA.

6 Likes

It is fair to note that, if not so horribly Gerrymandered, until 2020 Florida would have been blue as well. It is just that a lot of Democrats are giving up and more Trumpers are moving to Florida to fawn at the feet of Cheeto Jesus.

11 Likes

I don’t think so. There’s a shit ton of traffic from employees who work at the various Disney resorts and folks who live in the Disney subdivisions, not to mention locals who play golf at the courses. This is going to affect a lot of locals, too.

28 Likes

He’s not going to like it when Disney takes their puffy white gloves off.

24 Likes

+1 on your take, Sir. Thank you – here for this!

1 Like

What a miserable person.
(message scrubbed to be suitable for all audiences)

6 Likes

Unfortunately, I suspect other states will do similar targeted retaliatory actions against businesses that resist bigoted policies/don’t pay enough bribes to the party.

6 Likes

Oh, i get what you’re saying. ElSatan will use tolls which require a strange obscure payment; $2 bill or 13 pennies, or a .05oz gold nugget, etc. he’s getting creative on the tax payers dime.

Money Pennies GIF by Ashlyn Anstee

The mouse rules, but keep him in florida!

5 Likes

Hopefully he’ll be out of office by the time they’re able to build them.

3 Likes

They also have a stable of lawyers who could file motion after motion and drag DeSantis and his cronies into court just when he’s ramping up his political campaign. Sure, DeSantis could try to push off any such court appearances until after the election, but the Mouse’s legal department is certainly familiar with such stalling tactics and probably has detailed plans for how to counter them.

If you’re going to use such tactics yourself, you should probably have thought of the counters so you know how to defeat them.

21 Likes

Can the GOP really afford to get on the wrong side of corporate America?

27 Likes

Out of curiosity – could this actually pass in such a way as to only affect Disney? Or is this mope really proposing to harm all hotels in Florida with this? I suppose the law could be worded in such a way as to only affect hotel rooms over a certain per night rate or over a given size/capacity, but that seems entirely too progressive of an idea for a conservative.

20 Likes

Unless Ron the Fool is planning on putting toll booths on residential roads there are plenty of ways to get onto Disney property.

8 Likes