After his viral racist rant, Aaron Schlossberg's law office lost its lease

I do hate it when that happens. On a Friday and all.

2 Likes

Ah, the sweet, sweet taste of schadenfreude.

1 Like

Are you large right now? :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, but how did him losing the lease come about legally? Is he on a month to month? I’d hate to see this company get dinged in court for breaking his lease

1 Like

If you have to ask…

2 Likes

Yes, all racist bigots are on month to month.

Someone should probably stop eating hate flakes for breakfast.

1 Like

Not his landlords, apparently. Or they were content to take his asshole money and look the other way until the public outrage started.

2 Likes

Slippery slope to what exactly? People deciding not to rent to someone because they don’t like them? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that’s the way it works already. The only things you can’t refuse to rent for are race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, and familial status. Everything else is legal and fair game.

3 Likes

Short answer: commercial leases do NOT have the same kinds of protections built in as residential leases.

Longer answer: there’s various clauses like Termination for Convenience, and even stuff where nebulous things like reputational damages can be assessed against a lessee (or you can threaten to sue for said damages if they don’t agree to lease termination) that you get stuck with if you don’t have any negotiating power when you sign the lease.

5 Likes

I used to work in this building. The security and other building staff are good people.

8 Likes

NY news radio is saying it wasn’t a “full time office” and he uses other office spaces.

Sounds like he was renting space in some sort of shared office or subletting part of some one else’s lease on a month to month or x days a week basis.

…but… are you also in charge?

1 Like

In the dark ages before the internet and camera phones a douche of this magnitude would have just kept going, but one viral video meant others came forward to say “hey, I ran into this asshole too!” like some kind of accidental crowd-sourcing.

2 Likes

I forgot about that clip. I just now noticed the guy behind the shoe-thrower giving him the double handed “sit-your-ass-down!” yank.

But assholes are like fucking hydra: you cut off one head and several more take its place.

4 Likes

I wonder if he waited until he was out of the office to let his racist abuse fly (or otherwise hid it from the office managers), or the office managers were waiting until they couldn’t ignore it any longer. Both options seem plausible…

1 Like

The image of him cowering behind an open umbrella while refusing to stand up and defend his own assertions sums it up: Almost all bullies crumble when confronted.

Challenge such fools every time and anytime they spew their hate and almost all will scuttle back under the refrigerator, fearing the light of public indignation.

The thing the tyrant, the theocrat and the bully all fear most is laughter and public ridicule.

Silence on your part, is complicity in their hate and insanity. Women and brown and black people do not need “white knights” to save them but when everyone in the room laughs at the racist, the sexist, the bigot, it leaves such with no place to hide and no shelter for their ideas.

5 Likes

I’d say he rented as little as possible office space there, both in terms of actual space and time to use it, to have a “legit” Madison Avenue address.

3 Likes

This. There’s protections against rendering someone homeless on a whim that don’t apply to storefronts and office space.

2 Likes