After locals complain of poor signal, California cops raid home to find 5G jammer device

I was thinking of that Brazilian hacker and his apartment with no real personal clutter. I wonder what this one looks like?

7 Likes

2 Likes

For stuff like that, I usually use my wiki in an HTML file. It’s a bit chunky at 15M, but after it’s been sent, all the work is on the client side.

That reminds me, I was going to roll a tiny server in Python with tweaks to fool Apple and Android’s checks for an Internet connection. (It’s harder to lure people in when their phone shows that it’s a cul-de-sac.)

Hm. A procedurallly-generated infinite conspiracy site…

5 Likes

Why were local cops investigating? Wouldn’t this be FCC territory?

3 Likes

FCC is just a regulatory agency. They dont have the resources to execute search warrants, hence the police involvement.

Welcome to BoingBoing!

8 Likes

The FCC say they don’t need search warrants, and that you are required to admit them to any licensed or licensed by rule radio installation. They seem to refer to analog radio transmissions in this link, but WiFi and Cell phones are radio transmitters under license by rule, so I dunno.

Q: Why must operators of radio frequency devices allow the FCC to inspect their equipment?

A: The Commission must ascertain essential facts pertaining to the operation of a station which may be vital to the resolution of a number of questions, including interference problems involving public safety. For this reason, the FCC must be able to check all covered equipment that have the potential to emit radio frequencies. Section 303(n) of the Communications Act gives the FCC this authority.

3 Likes

you can purchase the BG-E8 5G Signal jammer from Xiaomi Today!

Warning, might be illegal at your location!!! :smiley:

3 Likes

A bit like me solving the minor radiator leak I have by blowing up the dykes around me…

2 Likes

I used to live within the radius of this zone when I was in grade school. Let’s just say I can’t afford it now. And my hair lady, who has cut my hair since I was ten, and styled my hair for my wedding… I had to stop speaking with her when she went full Wakefield after her youngest was diagnosed with autism. She found a very accepting community of anti-vaxxers that reaffirmed her fears.

Morgan Hill has gained local notoriety for having a freeway overpass where Qnuts gather. Right where Cochrane bottlenecks and forces traffic to a crawl, there’s routinely a bunch of yahoos with signs and flags.

Anyway, I might be moving there soon. Send me the fortitude to know when to keep my mouth shut, and when to clock an asshole.

10 Likes

Somehow, looking at that fact sheet doesn’t exactly put the fear of god in me.

"Q: What happens if I do not allow the FCC agent to inspect my equipment?

A: Failure to allow inspection forecloses the opportunity to resolve the problem. Thus, refusal to allow inspection is a serious challenge to the Commission’s authority to inspect radio stations and is a violation of the Rules. Such a refusal may lead to revocation of a license, maximum monetary forfeiture, or other Commission sanctions."

2 Likes

Oh wow! I use to live there!

1 Like

Like the FTC, the FCC makes way too few enforcement actions and can only fine you or revoke licenses (if you have any), not jail you. You almost have to beg them to do it. But the fines can be pretty steep for an individual. Unless you have money, in which case, they have little incentive.

3 Likes

the boxes sporting 7 antennae are marked “BG-E8 5G Signal jammer”

The ones on insects are “antennae”. The ones on radios are “antennas”.

I know – crazy language, right? English is the Perl of natural languages. There’s always more than one way to do it.

6 Likes

That works too

2 Likes

If you think the magical COVID rays emanating from 5G towers are causing illness. . . a jamming device isn’t going to remove them from the air, just add more magical rays.

[ETA: of course, science probably isn’t this person’s forte-- perhaps they’re thinking the jammer is like “raising the shields” in Star Trek.]

7 Likes

I wonder if this person thought they were ‘sensitive’ to radio signals and got this. But unless I’m wrong, a jammer like this would also be blasting it’s own counter signal…

8 Likes

" Texin BG-E8: Features
…The Texin jammer consumes 60W of power and has a single channel 3-4W transmitting power."

So it has quite a lot more transmitting power than any legal consumer market device is able to push out. But if your problem is imaginary your brain can easily think this thing as a solution. You can just block the facts and start transmitting gibberish in the air.

5 Likes

How weird is that?

The article says they found two jammers. I wonder if one was some kind of signal booster?

From the article:

• People were complaining of 5G and WiFi disruption.
  • House had two jammer devices.
  • One was a 5G jammer.

Are we do assume that the second jammer targets WiFi signals? Or is the 5G jammer creating noise in other parts of the spectrum as well?