After neighborhood chickens and ducks are killed, family realizes their dog is... not that

Originally published at: After neighborhood chickens and ducks are killed, family realizes their dog is… not that | Boing Boing

7 Likes

He’s cute anyway.

19 Likes

Purebred puppies for $15. :+1:

12 Likes

A friend of mine had one of those wolf/dog hybrids that a breeder in Pennsylvania used to sell (illegally).

It would kill a small animal in a heartbeat. Once killed a skunk before it even had a chance to spray.

14 Likes

I never get sick of stories of “I thought I got a dog but I accidently got insert apex predator
RIP chickens though, some of the neighbors may have relied on them for food or income.

27 Likes

When asked, Run Run says everything tastes like chicken.

28 Likes

Could have happened with a normal dog, as well. Our childhood dog killed a neighbor’s rabbits, and she was a sweet samoyed!

15 Likes

This story of Shirley Jackson’s, The Renegade, was about a dog who killed chickens.

Stuck with me all these years.

My dog found a nest of wild rabbits and even being the sweetest dog ever, started to raggle them to death before I stopped him.

11 Likes

could use a chicken killing Andean fox in my neighborhood. gotdam feral street chickens would not be missed by me or any of the neighbors. fking nuisance animals too scrawny to eat and too clever to get consistent egg crop out of.
I keep swearing that they are going to be crab bait in my crab traps very soon.

11 Likes

Yeah, we used to have a lovely husky called, Buddy, until, one night…

15 Likes

But definitely not “the farm”.

8 Likes

My family had a german shorthair pointer, and that dog had been a city dog all its life before we got her. We took her on holiday to a cottage on an island we rented, and the first time Coco (she was brown with white spots) got out, she ran out into the mowed-once-a-year field out back and found a family of rabbits. She barked, she pointed, then she took each of the tiny bunnies in her mouth and gently took them up to the house, depositing them in a terrified pile one by one on the porch. Didn’t harm them, and after we took her inside for a bit they wandered back out into the field. Her real joy was when we went fishing – we could catch tautog (blackfish) at low tide and store them in a long, narrow tidal pool until we had enough for dinner. She would chase those fish up and down the pool, pointing whenever she had one cornered, carefully picking them up and putting them back in the pool if they flopped out.

She was a good dog.

30 Likes

Well, at least it didn’t turn out to be a bear…

Poor “puppers.”

10 Likes

There was always the famous urban legend of the “Mexican pet”, which was used as a title of one of the first books to address urban legends in a scholarly manner (Jan Harold Brunvand’s The Mexican Pet, 1986).

8 Likes

Culpeos are one of my favorite critters and I am always happy to see them in the news.

At least they’re (very very slightly) closer to dogs than actual foxes are.

5 Likes

Run Run, “It’s been about 6 months and they still think I’m a dog.”

9 Likes

“And that naming me Run Run wasn’t a completely accurate prediction of what I’d eventually do.”

Cracking Up Lol GIF

11 Likes

I mean, dogs are apex predators too… they’re just the only ones that are regularly invited to share human couches.

9 Likes

funny-tweets6

16 Likes

I hope they didn’t might waiting on that peanut butter until the 1880s. :thinking:

3 Likes