Ahmaud Arbery's killers arrested and charged with murder

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/07/ahmaud-arberys-killers-arres.html

16 Likes

Knowing this timeline, it’ll end with two presidential medals of freedom or whatnot.

27 Likes

On the morning of May 5th, 2020, GCPD requested the GBI investigate the public release of video related to Arbery’s death.

So two days ago they seemed more interested in finding out who leaked the video than… You know… Hold some murders accountable. Checks out

36 Likes

The GBI is distinct from local police.

4 Likes

I know I read the post, they were still requesting the GBI investigate who leaked it before they bothered to arrest people over the murder

17 Likes

Oh, I missed that part. Thanks for the clarification. I thought it had just been referred this week.

8 Likes
35 Likes

I just can’t help but think that this probably isn’t the first murder these monsters have committed.

15 Likes

It would certainly be worth checking cold cases for black men murdered by firearm at the side of the road in GA, SC, and FL.

14 Likes

They’d be looking for angry racist white men with guns - yeah, that’ll narrow the list of suspects down.

20 Likes

They already have the angry racist white men with guns. They’d be checking mobile phone geographics and ballistics with murders and murder victims.

10 Likes

This gives me some hope.

I need all the hope I can get right now unfortunately it’s too late for this gentleman who didn’t deserve this end

11 Likes

Here are the alleged murderers.

Gregory McMichael, age 64, and Travis McMichael, age 34

5 Likes

Looks like they used the Shithole filter.

14 Likes

I sincerely mean this- I know all of us get sick of constant crushing Soul destroying news that never ends for the last 4 years especially but no matter how small the venue, and Boing Boing is no small venue, publishing stuff like this sometimes leads to something being done.

Being part of that makes me happy, even though none of this stuff should have happened in the first place

20 Likes

It took two months and a leaked video, but it’s still better than nothing.

Now I guess we’ll see what happens with a trial and jury…

27 Likes

There really needs to be a deep dive into everything about these two. Families of other victims could get some level of justice if facts show these monsters were involved in other acts of violence.

8 Likes

“A private person may arrest an offender if the offense is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge.” The McMichaels claimed that Arbery attacked them after they chased him with guns, which, technically, made it self-defense;

So Arbery was acting within his rights to conduct a citizen’s arrest on two assailants who, in his presence, violated Georgia state law:

O.C.G.A. 16-11-102 Pointing or Aiming Gun or Pistol at Another
O.C.G.A. 16-5-20 Simple Assault

And then they murdered him while resisting his citizen’s arrest.

Glad we cleared that up.

28 Likes

grumpy-cat-good

13 Likes

Golly it’s amazing how often unarmed black guys with no prior history of violence will just start beating the shit out of gun-toting white vigilantes without warning or provocation.

27 Likes