Ahmaud Arbery's murderers get life

episode 8 bullshit GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

It matters. This is how we get movement to a more just society, by showing that our systems of law can work the way we want them to work - which is to hold people to account. It MATTERS. The fact that it happened in Georgia, not here in the metro, but in a small town in southern coastal GA… that MATTERS.

Do you believe you are the ONLY ONE here who does? Lots of us do, in fact.

17 Likes

As a Woman of Color, verdicts like this give me genuine HOPE; all is not lost yet.

I cannot and will not live my life worrying about them; ‘haters gon’ hate,’ bigots gonna bigot.

Personally, I’ll take every miniscule iota of actual justice and equality that I can get.

How very wonderful for you.

18 Likes

As a white woman, I fully agree. Despite their attempts to grip onto power here in my state, the tide seems to be turning against the extremist elements in our GOP and our state. I’m not fan of Kemp, but his support for ending the racist citizens arrest law was another good outcome from this tragedy.

I know it will not give Ahmaud’s family and friends any real comfort, though. The judge’s point about that was spot on.

15 Likes

Thank fuck for it.

Now is the time to dig in and fight even harder, not to give up just because the fight is doing actual ongoing hard work.

12 Likes

This. Their appeals will go nowhere and they will never leave prison except maybe the guy who was filming has some chance.

plus, let Blessings rain on that Judge + his for his ‘humanity’. :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

The state will get a MAGA governor and he will pardon these walking piles of excrement.

Brian Kemp isn’t Republican enough?

6 Likes

Even a MAGA politician wouldn’t pardon those three unless they had more political capital to gain than they had to lose, and these bigots just aren’t that popular.

13 Likes

You really don’t know what you’re talking about.

Stacey Abrams Democrat GIF by GIPHY News

We’re pretty much a 50/50 state here, and there is still a pretty good, moderate wing to the GA GOP who did not come out for Trump or those he backed in 2020 and early 2021. Part of the reason why the came out with those gerrymandered maps this year is because they are well aware that they can no longer count on handily winning state wide elections.

Not for the MAGA crowd, as Trump is trying to primary him, which won’t work. And Kemp has strongly condemned the shooters and supported ending the citizens arrest law. It’s literally the least he could have done, but it shows that even he would not support these monsters.

17 Likes

Guess it’s a good thing that the Federal Hate Crimes charges start trial starts February 7th. Plenty of time to put them in federal prison before the next election.

13 Likes

9 Likes

See, I’m a lefty as far as they come. UBI, hate crime enhancements, cancelling racists, universal heath care, free community college, the whole nine yards.

But I really, really hate how my side just can’t take a fucking win. Every time something good happens, or some sign that we’re proceeding in the right direction, someone comes along and takes a big old dump over it. We fired Trump, and were my lefty friends all in on changing the rules of the senate or eyeing supreme court picks? NOPE. Right in on the “You just know Biden’s old and senile and Trumps going to win in 24.” Just almost immediately.

The three fucking shit stains that murdered Ahmaud Arbery are going to jail for LIFE. Two of them are definitely leaving in a box, and one of them is going to be 85 before we can talk about whether or not he’s going to be okay to release to the public. And what are people doing, on the left, instead of actually feeling joy for Ahmaud’s family that his mother got to keep her promise to him?

Inventing absolute bullshit reasons why our win is really a loss. Just making shit up and taking giant dumps on it.

I love the left and I want the world to be a more just, equitable, fair, sustainable place with all that actually really does entail, but fuck if I’m not tired of some of these people who are just attempting to turn everything we accomplish into some kind of a piece of shit. I’m sick of it. The sentences were perfect and fair and made the world just that much a better place.

9 Likes

I’d wager there’s a good chance of at least some of the 3rd gen feeling “society did them wrong” and flipping down an even darker path. Seems to be how those things go.

By that reasoning we should never punish racist killers because doing so might inspire the killers’ children to be even worse.

Screw that nonsense. It’s like saying we ought to be thankful that Emmett Till’s killers never paid for their crimes.

12 Likes

This one’s a needed result, but, if you want something more hopeful, the manslaughter charge for the “accidental” shooting via taser confusion is actually more significant.

We need the high profile, high stakes cases to come through, but the real litmus test is getting actual sentences for more common abuse, less bright-line cases like this.

1 Like

Regarding Rob’s headline: the “get life” part is missing the “in prison” part for me. And it made my skin crawl, because it resonates with “get a life!1!11”.

Is this a non-native-speaker thing, or my personal stupidity?

This is probably a non-native speaker thing.

In the US, when referring to prison sentences, get life usually means they got sentenced to a life sentence. Also, in other countries, the concept of a life sentence may be different from what is commonly called in those countries a “True Life” sentence. With a few exceptions in liberal states, all life sentences in the US are true life sentences. AKA, these people are leaving prison in a box.

It’s also worth noting that we have the death penalty active in many southern states, and in their state in particular, the prosecutor does not necessarily have to “seek” it to have a judge issue it. Whether or not these two lived or died was at the discretion of the judge, so , we use “get life” as opposed to “get death.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.