AI can predict people's political beliefs by what they buy

My Winston Boron-III Micro-Spey in this picture and I don’t like it.

edit: for real tho, I’m way too broke for Winston

Not disagreeing with any of your points. I broadly concur. Just wondering whether UK and US coarse fishing practices and classes may differ, demographically and in their traditions.

It makes sense when you remember what is being sold. Market segmentation for advertising is a huge industry in its own right. Quirky pull quotes make the relationships sound like a dark art that a business can’t figure out on their own. The people putting out the stats and the journalist talking about them share a goal of putting out novel connections.

2 Likes

White people think it makes them seem fancier, because the world “English” is right there… I suppose they could have called them Anglo-Saxon muffins to drive the point home.

Speaking of, I really need to buy some English muffins this week.

7 Likes

I’m not sure it is.

The the Forbe’s article claims “AI” and “University of Chicago” mentioning Arby’s and English Muffins and fishing poles, but no citation. I suspect the actual source is the 2018 “Coming Apart? Cultural Distances in the United States over Time” paper by Marianne Bertrand & Emir Kamenica at the University of Chicago and that the Forbes article is sloppy. (Also possible AI happened to come up with a similar list, but “Forbes article is sloppy” seems the simpler possibility.)

3 Likes

What does owning a Peloton predict?

2 Likes

Aye. Proper British food. I think Bill Bryson wrote at some point that when he first came to Britain he decided that British people are just scared of excitement, “Ooh, let’s have a nice cup of tea” and eating fish and chips in your car being the highlight of a trip to the seaside, whereas Americans demand more flavour, bigger portions, rollercoasters and neon.

I’d say muffins are just solid bready things which yes can be split in two in some types. Most just come as they are. No little holes though. That’s just crumpets.

No idea how muffin consumption splits demographically though. I’m not sure anyone actually eats that kind of muffin any more other than as an egg mcmuffin for example.

Although I would not be at all surprised if Nanny toasts muffins for Rees-Mogg daily. Or maybe he enjoys being allowed to toast them himself now he’s a big boy. I’m sure he’s allowed to use the toasting fork himself these days.

4 Likes

Articles full of disingenuous handwringing.

7 Likes

Winning the Presidency?

And then having to leave it at home?

6 Likes

I know people will hate me, but I’m very liberal, and I still like Arbys.

I refuse to eat at Applebys though.

And I find fishing to be the most boring pursuit on the planet. Also I drink a lot of bourbon and hate ranch dressing.

4 Likes

Applebees is where you go when you want somebody else to microwave your food for you.

9 Likes

Wait, English food is fancy now? When did that happen? What about the mockery and opprobrium our cuisine always used to attract?

5 Likes

In America, yes. Put English on anything and instant fancy. Especially English accents. Even working class accents.

5 Likes

I’ve been buying Trump merch at the Going Out Of Business Sale.

1 Like

English dentistry?

6 Likes

Our teeth are rustic and artisanal; very hip, very à la mode.

12 Likes

Did you get an oil lease?

5 Likes

I got a great deal on unused Pardons.

6 Likes

Will his estate help do you suppose?

4 Likes

Well, now, yeah. NHS and all… Before the war, not so much.

7 Likes