AI-generated politician running for UK Parliament

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/14/ai-generated-politician-running-for-uk-parliament.html

7 Likes

Something, something torture nexus.

16 Likes

‘we’re’ always one step behind them

8 Likes

This might actually turn out to be an improvement.

6 Likes

Instantly thought of that guy too!

6 Likes

Stand Up What GIF by 800 Pound Gorilla Media

10 Likes

More original thoughts than Farrage, for sure!

6 Likes

And smarter than the average bear Tory PM.

7 Likes

AI should give options with reasons for each and let the person decide, this person is ass backwards.

3 Likes

I love how AI Steve looks vaguely like George Clooney, while Real Steve is more Steve Bannon.

george clooney GIF

Steve Bannon Jail GIF by GIPHY News

11 Likes

The Greens will win Brighton.

More power to them.

6 Likes

I’m not sure how AI Steve is reliable. I think you need to be 21 to stand for parliament.

4 Likes

Called it.

2 Likes

It can synthesize sincerity better than any Tory, and will only steal your data and spend your taxes on pixels.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say the Tory MPs are necessarily stupid… cruel, and greedy, for sure, but not necessarily stupid.

@timd “The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you’ve got it made.", Hippolyte Jean Giraudoux

4 Likes

The opposite. LLM tab auto completion using the Internet as a data source for '“thoughts”. Including content like 4 Chan. Lizard brain politics right out of Neale Stephenson’s “Interface”. All he needs is one of Elon’s neural implants.

This is all so confusing. His website says:

Smarter UK will recruit locals to create policies (Creators) and commuters from Brighton Station to score these policies (Validators). Policies meeting the 50% threshold will be adopted, and the validators will control all AI-STEVES parliamentary votes—the ultimate form of democracy.

So why have an “AI” anything in the middle? Why not just have the human pledge to do what the constituents want? Can’t help thinking this is one of the most shameless uses of “AI” to get into the press that I’ve ever seen. AI is totally irrelevant to what’s actually being proposed, isn’t it?

Also, this quote from one of the interviews with the guy:

That is the whole idea of democracy. You have to put away your own personal politics, your own ego and actually do what your constituents want, which is quite radical in politics.

Actually, no. When I was doing my (yes! indeed!) politics A-level, we were told that this isn’t part of the UK’s representative democracy. The UK public elects Members of Parliament to represent their interests and concerns in the House of Commons, but, as Winston Churchill said:

The first duty of an MP is to do what he [or she] thinks … is right and necessary for the honour and safety of Great Britain. His second duty is to his constituents, of whom he is the representative but not the delegate.

It’s a damn good thing that we don’t have hoards of MPs simply doing what their constituents tell them, because it would be mob rule mixed with a mess of ridiculous contradictions. Politics isn’t something anyone with some free time and a yen for public speaking can do.

Least of all “AI” FFS.

4 Likes

It’s a damn good thing that we don’t have hordes of MPs simply doing what their contributors tell them… …oh wait

2 Likes

Yeah well - accepting payment in any form from anywhere other than a parliamentary salary while being an MP should be punishable with expulsion and jail. Why it isn’t seems to be little debated, while the likes of “AI Steve” wiss on about “democracy”…

2 Likes

I think you are greatly overestimating Nigel Farage’s capacity for original thought.

3 Likes