AI turns mugshots into anime portraits

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/01/ai-turns-mugshots-into-anime-p.html

3 Likes

Clicking “About” on the website caused an attempted super-sketchy chrome plugin install.

That’s a no from me, dawg.

10 Likes

Plenty of weird redirects and impossible to use. No links like this, please !

2 Likes

Neat idea. I would just prefer an app for my phone.

Malwarebytes was having none of that. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, this is a nice idea, but the redirects and ads are just awful. I’m not going to install a 3rd party VPN app in order to use this service. And I don’t think I need a Chrome upgrade in order to upload a file.

2 Likes

Firefox on android with noscript and ublock…didn’t seem any worse than the majority of sites I visit (no install pops for me).

I think it’s optimized for cute girls to cute anime…
Middle aged, balding with a month old quarantine beard…it doesn’t know what to make of me.index

13 Likes

No problems for me, but I opened the link in an incognito window and enabled AdGuard AdBlocker

edit: This, in no way, resembles the source image, perhaps for the better:

8 Likes

Yeah, it really doesn’t seem to know what to make of beards…

2 Likes

My beard caused much confusion. Oddly the first attempt was bestself

3 Likes

I tried uploading various pictures, and even that doesn’t seem to be the case. It resulted in weird, distorted, line-covered faces. (It may be optimized for particular angles/poses, however.)

Opens fine in duckduckgo on my phone. It naturally blocks a lot. The site itself seems to be legit enough but their choice of ad revenue provider, it would seem, needs some serious review.

HazelAsAnimeWaifu Yeah, it does a great job on my daughter…
(/me checks the first shell in the 12ga is indeed loaded with rock salt)

My son, with his envy-inducing 2ft long golden mane, so so…
FelixWaifu

And bald, goateed gen-x me, not so good… puts a few years on me, I think…

SimonAnimeWaifu

Then again, I get the impression that anime bald guys do all tend to look the same… it’s all about the hair…

4 Likes

I haven’t been to the site (yet), but I am guessing is that it is trying to match uploaded images to stock anime portraits, rather than the more artistic "make an image from a uploaded photo in the anime style.

3 Likes

Nah, it looks like a neural network was trained to take apart a bunch of sample faces, then remixes the bits onto the photo you give it.

Although I’ve seen the Avisynth AWarpSharp2 plugin produce similar results as well.

6 Likes

This thing really hates my fat head and goateeindex(3)

At least it got my eye color right.

4 Likes

It totally made that weird-looking guy look almost normal.

Worked great on my daughter and her friend. My son, not so much. I think his chin is too big. Also, on the beard thing, yeah some freaky beasts come out of that.

Also, apparently my Adobe is out of FI777fahlfkls

I used internet images of faces, and the results were inexplicably weird.

1 Like

I’ve never seen an anime version of a dog turd. Perhaps I should send a photo of that and see what emerges. Yes. I may do that.

And here it is:

3 Likes

Gross. I hate it. They could have at least tried to make it look like some form of human being.

2 Likes