Airplane video of UFO above clouds... isn't that

Originally published at: Airplane video of UFO above clouds… isn't that | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I chuckled at this comment:
that's the wifi router for the cloud storage

28 Likes

I think this is on the BDEGA3 STAR (Standard Terminal Arrival procedure) which funnels traffic from points north out over Point Reyes and then back in abeam the Golden Gate bridge then across the peninsula finally flying directly over SFO where the pilots will receive radar vectors either down over Palo Alto or out over the Bay, to turn back into runways 28L or 28R.

The elevation between the BDEGA and CORKK waypoints (where Sutro Tower can be seen) is 13,000’ descending to 11,000’ and not 38000 ft [sic].

6 Likes

Amusing smashes on them in the thread. I’m surprised they haven’t deleted it yet.

1 Like

An unidentified flying object is only such until we know what it is, at which point the UFO becomes a much less exciting IFO.

6 Likes

It might even be lower than that. Hard to tell exactly where this is but, assuming they’re on the RNAV for 10R or 10L, the altitude at DOTNE is 3500 feet and 1900 at JULOS.

5 Likes

episode 5 GIF by Star Wars

6 Likes

Yeah I thought that too, but in all my years of flying in and out of SFO and even living in San Mateo with the inbound traffic right above my balcony, I’ve never seen planes land on the 10s.

And I have actually seen Sutro Tower peaking above the clouds a few years ago on BDEGA3.

I even drew a picture, I am THAT much of a transportation / geography geek – the red arrow is roughly the arrival path, and the X looking thing is Sutro.

2 Likes

In this case, though, it’s an ISO, or Identified Standing Object.

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.