Pentagon confirms leaked footage of UFO is genuine

Originally published at: Pentagon confirms leaked footage of UFO is genuine | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Let’s just remember that “UFO” doesn’t necessarily mean “alien visitors from outer space”. It means “we don’t know what this is (yet)”. There are probably lots of explanations for these phenomena which are more likely than “space aliens”, and “space aliens” shouldn’t really be the default (if only for lack of prior probability).

27 Likes

I’m pretty sure UFOs are currently, on average, pretty low on the list of people’s concerns. Great timing, I guess.

This just in from Qanon, btw: “UFOs are a hoax by the government, to distract people from what’s really going on in the world, like Hillary suffering from adrenochrome withdrawals in prison.”

8 Likes

Aha! So they’ve acknowledged that footage leaks happen!

2 Likes

That would be why so many UFO videos are blurry and flash in a manner consistent with airplane running lights.

6 Likes

Yes. Acknowledgement of a videos authenticity to be misconstrued as acknowledgement of the existence of alien visitors in 3…2…1…

2 Likes

Just remember everyone, absolutely anything can be a UFO if you’re really bad at identifying things that are flying.

21 Likes

But people just want to believe.

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

6 Likes

3 Likes
3 Likes

Looks like bokeh to me. But the clip is suspiciously short (almost as if there are parts Corbell doesn’t want us to see!), so it’s impossible to say.

Also: The flashing has the exact cadence of an anticollision light system. Like this one, from an Airbus A320:

ETA: CONFIRMED! It’s bokeh. Glad to see my instincts are still good on this kind of bullshit.

21 Likes

Is there some understanding of the Venn-diagram-like relationship between Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP) and UFOs? as in “all UAPs are UFOs but not the reverse” …? "Well it’s up there, in the air, y’see, but it may not be flying exactly, it more like hovering ominously, so actually should be a UHOT, or unidentified hovering ominously thing-ie. One thing is clear: we need far more TLAs (three letter abbreviations) or the aliens will win.

2 Likes

Probably developing some kind of military weapon.

1 Like

Looks like the yahoos who used to fly oddly illuminated drones over my neighborhood at night have graduated to renting a boat and dogging the US Navy.

1 Like

Not Buying It Debbie Downer GIF by Saturday Night Live

3 Likes

I think the main reason for the UAP moniker is to get away from the “UFO = little green men” prejudice, i.e., what used to be called a UFO is now a UAP as far as the Pentagon is concerned. Presumably you can travel through space in an “object” but less so in a “phenomenon”. What could possibly go wrong?

3 Likes
2 Likes

Oh come on. A triangular weather balloon.

1 Like

It seems after seeing drone swarms that all the UFO groups people have seen have been that, just far in advance of what was commercially or publicly available.

We will eventually be hunted by robots. It’s not even a question.

8 Likes