Airport full-body scanners no longer optional, if the TSA screener doesn't like you

The TSA is the sole reason that I don’t fly. Authority issues + smart mouth + jackbooted thugs = trouble.

4 Likes

Just cut the letters out of tinfoil and stick them on the inside of your clothes, or your luggage. I’m not sure how much THz waves will be reflected from foil, but I think it would show up.

I have a theory for a way to protest. It’s effective, but I don’t think a lot of people will go for it. I will poop my pants next time.

That way every one will be as grossed out as I am. TSA, passengers, et al.

Everyone will remember and feel the damage we have done to our founding documents. To each other. Everyone will see how inappropriate the searches are. We’ll all smell trouble.

All it costs is the personal dignity you and me are already spending getting groped. (Plus a pair of pants and underpants.)

Think about it.

With a smile.

3 Likes

Stink about it.

3 Likes

I’m just wondering if they’ll be able to use it to deny opt-outs altogether if the security line is backed up, with the reasoning that the machine is marginally faster than a pat-down.

Came here to suggest something similar, with maybe an upraised finger for visual effect.

In the same vein, I’d like to fill all of the unused space on my hard drives & flash drives with cheerful comments directed at border patrol officers.

Either one would probably get a person in trouble, because the First Amendment, along with the rest of the Constitution, is unrecognized by Homeland Suckurity, but it would feel so satisfying.

2 Likes

As a DHS employee I can shine some light on this. TSA is changing how they designate and screen selectees (SSSS). Basically, they are going to stop using the algorithms that automatically assign certain passengers selectee status. The passenger’s that still have selectee status after the change will no longer be allowed to opt-out of the body scanner and will be told so before screening starts. Everything will remain the same for the rest of the traveling public. Hope this helps

2 Likes

Some bureaucracy writing up a policy does not mean we loose our free agency. I’ll get the popcorn and have a good time seeing the TSA try to explain this to the courts.

1 Like

So should I just take a train or drive to Canada to fly international. Forget about domestic. Not bowing down to security theater.
Was is not Peace

2 Likes

Travelling to LA from Toronto this past spring none of us were given the choice. We had to be scanned or just not go. I tried to opt out they just blanked me. Ignored what I said and wouldn’t respond at all other than to say “walk in to the scanner ma’am.” It was amazing to watch really. And yes. I got scanned.

Also they take your finger prints now. Which I was more freaked out about than the damn scanner!

3 Likes

It just seems weird. So if I am ssss I know I can’t get a pat down, so all I have to do is defeat the scanner.

3 Likes

I do this every time as well. I guess that going forward I’ll be severely limiting my trips to the U.S.

1 Like

TSA is useless. If you are a sheep you might feel better…

In one minute I’ll formulate a way to defeat TSA. Haha, ended up taking just 10 seconds for me to devise a way.

Plastic explosive breast implants, attached to a trigger device created out of the housing of a pacemaker/defibrillator. Completely undetectable. Triggered via Bluetooth pairing of cellphone. BOOM. Thank goodness I’m one of the good guys.

Are you?

##Are you??

(Nah, I trust ya :D)

What are you trying to do, get breasts banned?

1 Like

When breasts are banned, only the bad guys will have breasts.

2 Likes

AND, while I’m at it, the only thing that stops a bad guy with breasts is a good guy with breasts.

1 Like

No, SSSS get the scanner, the metal detector, and a pat down now. Sorry, I wasn’t clearer in my first post.

1 Like

Oh I see, thanks! Which reminds me, I need to get pre one of these days.

1 Like

Ow, jeez. My cardiologist and the doctor who did my implant still refuse to come out and say that the full body scanners are safe (magnetometers are definitely not). I don’t blame them for not wanting to say “yeah, it’s fine” on the record: “may as well avoid it to be safe” eliminates any legal risk to them.

There’s no particular technical reason to believe the scanner is a danger. But if my device happens to wear out the day after a trip, anyone want to bet that my life insurance will fight my heirs tooth and nail over “failed to adhere to medical advice”?

I wonder if, should you happen to be one of the people they refuse to pat down, you can decide not to take the flight and leave the airport altogether. I know that’s not allowed other kinds of TSA searches.

Thank goodness I left the job that required me to fly, and get patted down, every week. I’m really not sure I’m willing to fly again after this.

1 Like