Alabama firefighter fired for having a hidden tattoo on her scalp

I hope she lands somewhere that she can rock that tattoo, because it’s a pretty cool one. It must feel like a waste of money to get a tattoo that is perma-hidden by hair.

4 Likes

This is very suspect; especially when firefighters tend to dress like this when on active duty.

20 Likes

Who even gives a fuck, just as long as she can effectively help keep my shit from burning down? :man_shrugging:

Power Firefighter GIF by Stadinbrankkari

20 Likes

Did they make her ride in the back of the fire truck as well?

4 Likes

It’s true that the whole point of the tattoo ban remains obscure. I doubt in that setting that it’s, as speculated above, to prevent white power ones.

7 Likes

Yes, it seems they’re very much doubling down on, literally, the particular color of her skin, which hopefully won’t look good in court.

3 Likes

I would also hope they would be competent enough to prevent white power folks from being hired in the first place…as those “opinions” could seriously affect departmental safety or the outcome of a fire call, depending on the color of the skin of the home or business owner.

9 Likes

Mine too!

Except he is white and was probably one of the ones complaining.

And he’s on the water, not the Bronx.

But still, small world!

3 Likes

As a firefighter myself, I see this as just plain stupid. I know so many first responders that have visible tattoos all over, including on their necks. I myself have a half sleeve (soon to be full).

My department, along with other police, fire, and EMS in the region, have started loosening their restrictions on tattoos. We’re finally getting enough “younger” people in spots of command to change this old and stupid way of thinking. And interestingly enough, it’s helped in finding more people when we’re in the middle of a massive first responder shortage.

That said… this isn’t about tattoos at all. It’s about race and gender. Female firefighters are HORRIBLY discriminated against by male firefighters. It’s a pretty toxic environment for them. I’ve seen it personally and have had to step in and shut some stupid shit down because guys didn’t like women working among them. The industry isn’t just male dominated, it’s toxically controlled. It’s pressed as “an issue of safety” (inferring the women aren’t physically capable of doing the job) among many male firefighters who work alongside women firefighters they don’t care for. I work with multiple women who do just as well as the men do, but it doesn’t matter to some of the men.

My niece is running into this problem as well. She recently graduated in fire science and is having issues finding a job, even in departments that are hurting in finding people. It’s pretty bad.

10 Likes

And that contempt is the real issue of safety (as I’m sure you know).

“Your life depends on your colleagues. You have to rely on them to get out safely and how can you do that when you know they think so little of you and treat you like dirt?” she said.

9 Likes

She’s 100% right to think that. Also, this part is a double edged sword. I’ve said this to a handful of guys having issues with the women working with them: “Why in the hell would you treat someone so badly that you’re going to rely on to save your life?” It’s awful for women in fire services, it really is.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.