Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey: "It's the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down"

Originally published at: Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey: "It's the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Best reply:

40 Likes

The GOP really should consider a new mascot: Mary Mallon.

13 Likes

How long until they kick her out of the party now?

Probably primary her with that guy who was willing to be hospitalized and would do it again to avoid the vaccine.

25 Likes

OK, but, obviously, if Nick Saban said the Crimson Tide isn’t taking the field until the state reaches a 90% vaccination rate he’d be fired by the end of the day.

4 Likes

I think you seriously underestimate the power/worship of Nick Saban

19 Likes

I don’t blame the unvaxxed as much as I blame the huge disinformation campaigns by Q, FoxNews, religious leaders, and lots of elected officials.

When everyone in your “bubble” is telling you the same thing, you will believe it.

27 Likes

I take it she is not planning on running for re-election?

5 Likes

Honestly, I’d lay my money on Saban on that one. The guy easily rivals Bear Bryant in terms of status, 'round these parts.

13 Likes

There is no such thing as “society”

12 Likes

Any Republican that urges vaccination without condemning Fox New and several members of their own party by name, is disingenuous at best, and just a contemptible liar at worst.

13 Likes

Ivey and other Trump Republicans coming out encouraging people to get vaxxed are about six months late to the party.

11 Likes

First thing I thought as well but then I remembered that that is the other conservative party using nativism, populism and dogwhistled racism as well as an exploitation of an antiquated voting system to stay in power with a minority of the electorate’s votes.

7 Likes

She was encouraging people back in April, when vaccines became available in the state, and has been doing so ever ince then. Doesn’t sound late.

Could she have been more anti-Trump? Yes. Could she have been more anti-Republican? Sure. Would it have hurt her message on vaccines? Yes.

14 Likes

Welcome to Jeopardy.

Q: Republican a-holes are doing an extremely abrupt about face on vaccines and how serious Covid is.

A: How do you know that Republicans just got spectacularly bad new internal polling data?

25 Likes

Fair enough, I’ll grant that. I don’t think there were any Governors saying “don’t get vaccines”. But there were governors saying it’s just personal choice, there are others who withdrew support for mass vaccination drives and stymied federal efforts on that front.

But you also have people like Ron DeSantis now simultaneously pushing vaccines and trying to tear down the credibility of people like Fauci.

5 Likes

The best summary of the modern Conservative point of view about the social contract was in The Crown, the episode where Michael Fagan breaks into Buckingham Palace and has an impromptu audience with the Queen. I found the dialog and posted it here: https://peterbasch.com/2020/12/26/the-crown-liberalism-and-conservatism-defined/

5 Likes

“They say I have mental illness now. I don’t. I’m just poor.” If felt for the guy, I really did. If you go and read up about the real story, he actually did have some mental health problems at that time, and of course this dialog in “The Crown” is fictional.

1 Like

4 Likes

Blame starts at the very top. Trump, literally could have (and still can) save hundreds of thousands of lives by a simple, sincere declaration that vaccines (“his” vaccines, that were developed under his administration!) are safe and effective and necessary. He would lose no support from his worshipers. It would cost him nothing. He could even take credit for “saving” America (again)!

Meanwhile, Kay Ivey is a true hero. What truly small, and (what should be) commonplace, things it takes to be heroic in the GQP nowadays.

6 Likes